Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP!!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:36 AM
  • 20 Replies
So, I just had my first baby May 1st. I planned on ebf from the start and I did... All the way up until a few days ago. This entire time I've had a uti that progressively got worse and has now gotten a little better but is still obviously there. I've been on the antibiotic Nitrofurantoin for the past couple weeks. This last week has been hell. I have ALL the symptoms of overactive let down and my poor baby boy is getting sick every time I nurse him. I've tried giving him breast milk in a bottle and he STILL vomits. This isn't basic spit up... He's vomiting every time he has my milk. Lots of it too! I'm devastated bc I've had to stop nursing and he's now on soy formula bc I didn't know what else to do. He's doing great on the formula. NO vomiting whatsoever! I'm having to pump and dump all my milk and its so sad.

Does anyone know what the problem could be here???? WHAT SHOULD I DO? I want to be nursing again. I spoke to a family friend who's a nurse and she said it sounds like the infection has spread to my milk possibly.

:( Any advice is much appreciated. I'm a first time mom and am anxious to start nursing my sweet boy ASAP!

I'm also having sharp burning pains in both of my breasts. Any idea what that could be??
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsAmundson23
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Maybe thrush? It sounds like it from the burning. And if antibiotics can cause a yeast infection it would make sense that they can cause thrush.
shortyali
by Alicia on May. 31, 2013 at 6:48 AM
As far as the spitting up goes it could be normal. Babies still have immature digestive tracts so as long as he's not in pain I wouldn't worry.
Why are you pumping and dumping?
The pain could be a number of things. Thrush comes to mind but so does plugged ducts because of the pumping. I would start taking probiotics to help ward off thrush just in case that isn't it.
kdloves.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM
I know spitting up is normal... But he's vomiting every time he's given breast milk. If I nurse him or pump and give him my milk through the bottle he vomits. Not just spit up.... I'm dumping my milk bc I think something is wrong with it bc every single time he has it he gets sick. I have a uti so I figured that has something to do with it. Idk....

After writing this post I nursed him after not nursing for a couple days and sure enough he vomited! What could be causing this? DOES ANYONE KNOW??????????

Quoting shortyali:

As far as the spitting up goes it could be normal. Babies still have immature digestive tracts so as long as he's not in pain I wouldn't worry.

Why are you pumping and dumping?

The pain could be a number of things. Thrush comes to mind but so does plugged ducts because of the pumping. I would start taking probiotics to help ward off thrush just in case that isn't it.
twogirl91
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM

When you say vomiting like how much is it? Because both my boys spit up A LOT! I mean like they would spit up a whole oz of breast milk, some times it looked like vomiting, but they were gaining weight just fine. 

MommyO2-6631
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Try nursing in a recline position. Or in a side lying position. and is baby still gaining weight? If so then it's a laundry problem. The burning pain, is it all the time, just during nursing, or just at a certain time during nursing? Is it sort of itchy? Is there a hard spot in your breast? If you choose to stay on formula I would try a partially digested formula such as alimentium or nutramigen instead of soy. Soy is full of estrogen. And I really doubt the infection has spread to your milk.
MommyO2-6631
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:55 AM
My older son did too. We would have to change clothes at least four times a day but he was gaining.

Quoting twogirl91:

When you say vomiting like how much is it? Because both my boys spit up A LOT! I mean like they would spit up a whole oz of breast milk, some times it looked like vomiting, but they were gaining weight just fine. 

kdloves.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:57 AM
An oz sounds about right.... It's all of a sudden though. He was breast feeding just fine up until a few days ago when the vomiting started and all the fussiness. I'm so clueless. Now when he has my milk he's up all night, vomiting, obviously uncomfortable and fussy. With the soy formula he's fine.

He just projectile vomited as I typed this :(((( its vomit I'm sure....

Quoting twogirl91:

kdloves.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I usually always nurse reclining or side lying. Idk if he's still gaining bc he hasn't had his one month checkup yet. He was gaining sufficiently at his two week checkup though (BEFORE all this mess started)
The pain has been the last couple days that I haven't nursed, just pumped... No hard spot or itching.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Try nursing in a recline position. Or in a side lying position. and is baby still gaining weight? If so then it's a laundry problem. The burning pain, is it all the time, just during nursing, or just at a certain time during nursing? Is it sort of itchy? Is there a hard spot in your breast? If you choose to stay on formula I would try a partially digested formula such as alimentium or nutramigen instead of soy. Soy is full of estrogen. And I really doubt the infection has spread to your milk.
MommyO2-6631
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Hmmmm. Have you tried unlatching when you feel a letdown and spraying into a cloth or bottle? Sometimes that first gush of milk is what causes the gas problems. And thrush is a large possibility since you've been taking antibiotics. It can be easily treated with gentain violet.

Quoting kdloves.:

I usually always nurse reclining or side lying. Idk if he's still gaining bc he hasn't had his one month checkup yet. He was gaining sufficiently at his two week checkup though (BEFORE all this mess started)

The pain has been the last couple days that I haven't nursed, just pumped... No hard spot or itching.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

twogirl91
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:17 AM

The reason my kids did that is because I had an over active let down, it won't hurt your baby, they both stopped spitting up like that around 6ish months. It's just a pain to clean up, but I personally would rather do that than give my kids soy formula, soy isn't that great for you, especially for little boys. 

Quoting kdloves.:

An oz sounds about right.... It's all of a sudden though. He was breast feeding just fine up until a few days ago when the vomiting started and all the fussiness. I'm so clueless. Now when he has my milk he's up all night, vomiting, obviously uncomfortable and fussy. With the soy formula he's fine.

He just projectile vomited as I typed this :(((( its vomit I'm sure....

Quoting twogirl91:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)