Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He won't drink the frozen stuff :( Updated 6/3/13

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 54 Replies
6/3/13
I'm so confused :/
He took the milk (that I did not scald) from Friday today with no problem.
Milk they I froze immediately after pumping (no scald) on 6/1, I thawed and tested today and it was perfect.
Milk from Thursday (no scald), in the fridge, smells funky.

Could it be that my milk just needs to be frozen sooner than 8 days to keep it fresh (my max is usually five days-so maybe even sooner than that?)

I haven't been able to test long term frozen milk that I either immediately froze or scalded then froze yet.

How much does scalding deplete the milk? Because I may just continue to scald and store any extra I pump in the hopes that he will take it later at least, but if it takes out a lot of the nutrients, I don't want to do it if its not necessary.

Sorry this is rambling. I'm so confused :/

6/1/13
New question:
I've been testing milk this weekend. Milk from Thursday tastes and smells just fine until warmed (perfect cold). Then once warmed it has a bit of an aftertaste like the freezer stuff. Additionally, the longer it sits out at room temp (from the fridge), the stronger the aftertaste gets.

Any ideas on that?

Original post:
He won't drink the frozen milk. My DS is now 10 weeks old and started daycare last week. He takes the fresh milk that I pumped the day before just fine, but when we tried using the frozen milk (to keep my back up supply fresh, I take frozen on Monday each week-well, I did with my oldest) he refused to drink it.
I don't know if it is lipase. It smells a little odd, but I really think it is just the freezer smell. It does have kind of a strange after taste compared to the fresh milk-yes, at this point I am drinking my own milk trying to diagnose the issue... It is definitely not spoiled. Can someone describe how a lipase milk issue smells/tastes?
I don't know what to do, my older son never had an issue drinking frozen milk (he just reversed cycled like crazy with all milk, fresh or frozen, lol!).
If it is lipase, can I refrigerate it at work and then scald when I get home or is that too late?
How can I tell for sure? Any self testing methods to prove if it is lipase?
Do you think mixing 1oz of frozen with 2 of fresh would disguise the taste enough so all my stash is not a total waste?
Help! I hate to think I won't have a back up supply because he won't take it, and I hate that all that milk is useless (I have about 500ozs saved in my deep freeze right now).
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Milk with high lipase will taste soapy. It's a very distinctive taste but doesn't always smell any different. Yes, you can store your milk at work and then scald when you get home. That is what I did and it was stored for 8-10 hours. Something that makes me think it's NOT a lipase issue is that your fresh milk from the day before isn't causing any problems. At that point, the lipase would have broken down the fat enough to cause a soapy taste. A question I have for you is, do you have to freeze the milk? Or are you just using the already frozen milk so not to waste it but aren't freezing your milk anymore at this point? I would avoid freezing any more milk at all unless it will be refrigerated longer than 8 days.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I'd like to add that yes, I do think mixing 1oz of frozen with 2oz of fresh would disguise the taste. I think that is probably your best option at this point and it won't hurt to try. Also try this.... scald  your next batch that you pump and freeze it. See if he will take that. If he does, then you know what the issue is.

cemcnair
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM
The big experiment will be this weekend. Instead of freezing the milk from today, I'm going to take it on Monday, so it will be three days old then. Surely if its lipase, he won't like that either, right? Like it might be ok for one day, but by three the taste would definitely change?
I don't have to freeze the milk, but I always pump more than he needs (basically I'd never be able to use it all before it spoiled in the fridge) and I like to have a freezer stash for emergencies or just time away. It was also nice with my oldest that I stopped pumping at 18 months, but he had breast milk at daycare until he was 2.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Milk with high lipase will taste soapy. It's a very distinctive taste but doesn't always smell any different. Yes, you can store your milk at work and then scald when you get home. That is what I did and it was stored for 8-10 hours. Something that makes me think it's NOT a lipase issue is that your fresh milk from the day before isn't causing any problems. At that point, the lipase would have broken down the fat enough to cause a soapy taste. A question I have for you is, do you have to freeze the milk? Or are you just using the already frozen milk so not to waste it but aren't freezing your milk anymore at this point? I would avoid freezing any more milk at all unless it will be refrigerated longer than 8 days.

cemcnair
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM
What's the proper scalding technique? Bring it just to a boil, take it off, let it cool, then freeze?

Quoting stepconfused182:

I'd like to add that yes, I do think mixing 1oz of frozen with 2oz of fresh would disguise the taste. I think that is probably your best option at this point and it won't hurt to try. Also try this.... scald  your next batch that you pump and freeze it. See if he will take that. If he does, then you know what the issue is.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Yes, after 3 days of being stored, if the issue is lipase, he will refuse that milk. I always thought my frozen milk tasted different than fresh milk, even when scalded. So, he may just not like that different taste. My milk tasted soapy if it was stored even for 24 hours in the fridge but I am sure it would just depend on how much excess lipase you have. Let me know what the verdict is on Monday.... I'll be curious to know!!

Quoting cemcnair:

The big experiment will be this weekend. Instead of freezing the milk from today, I'm going to take it on Monday, so it will be three days old then. Surely if its lipase, he won't like that either, right? Like it might be ok for one day, but by three the taste would definitely change?
I don't have to freeze the milk, but I always pump more than he needs (basically I'd never be able to use it all before it spoiled in the fridge) and I like to have a freezer stash for emergencies or just time away. It was also nice with my oldest that I stopped pumping at 18 months, but he had breast milk at daycare until he was 2.

Quoting stepconfused182:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Just when it starts to bubble around the edges, take it off the heat. I usually let mine cool for about an hour and then stuck it in the fridge. I would wait to freeze it until the next day so that it can properly cool down evenly.

Quoting cemcnair:

What's the proper scalding technique? Bring it just to a boil, take it off, let it cool, then freeze?

Quoting stepconfused182:

cemcnair
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for all your help! I'll update Monday.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Just when it starts to bubble around the edges, take it off the heat. I usually let mine cool for about an hour and then stuck it in the fridge. I would wait to freeze it until the next day so that it can properly cool down evenly.

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting stepconfused182:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Cant wait to hear your update after your experiment lol.

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Hopefully this will work. If it doesn't, though... you don't need to freeze what you pump on Friday. It will keep in the fridge well past Monday. So you might be able to clear out the breastmilk and make room for some Cherry Garcia!

cemcnair
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I just hate the idea of not having a stash for emergencies. I'm slightly OCD, lol!!

I guess if I can't get him to take it at all, I will just donate the extra.

Quoting gdiamante:

Hopefully this will work. If it doesn't, though... you don't need to freeze what you pump on Friday. It will keep in the fridge well past Monday. So you might be able to clear out the breastmilk and make room for some Cherry Garcia!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)