Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it normal to be this emotional...??

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 12 Replies

I always knew that I would BF my LO so when I found out that I was pregnant there wasn't any question.  I was fortunate to grow up with a mom who bf all four of her kiddos and it was acceptable and what you did.  I had big plans of making it through the first year without any issues.  However, that was quickly changed when I had my baby girl.  Before we left the hospital I was faced with the dreaded “your baby has lost more than 10% and you need to supplement”…of course after breaking down in tears I did so, so we could get released from the hospital.  Through all of that and waiting for my milk to come in we still managed to get a good groove going.  Then 10 weeks later I had to come back to work and PUMP.  That is a whole other ball game…but I have managed to make it 6 months (trying every trick in the book including taking a round of reglan).  Now I am facing major supply issues and have dwindled down to only getting 2 to 3 oz all day and my DD is refusing to nurse.  How do I get over it?  How do I get pass the guilt and crushed dreams?  I know this may seem really silly and probably is…but I find myself dwelling on this the last few days especially with the reality of it being done is nearing.

toddler tantrum

by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ms_kru_ger:

I always knew that I would BF my LO so when I found out that I was pregnant there wasn't any question.  I was fortunate to grow up with a mom who bf all four of her kiddos and it was acceptable and what you did.  I had big plans of making it through the first year without any issues.  However, that was quickly changed when I had my baby girl.  Before we left the hospital I was faced with the dreaded “your baby has lost more than 10% and you need to supplement”

Just to file away... if baby was born by c-section or you got IV fluids loss of more than 10% is normal.

…of course after breaking down in tears I did so, so we could get released from the hospital.  Through all of that and waiting for my milk to come in we still managed to get a good groove going.  Then 10 weeks later I had to come back to work and PUMP. 

It's legal slavery, I tell ya!

That is a whole other ball game…but I have managed to make it 6 months (trying every trick in the book including taking a round of reglan).  Now I am facing major supply issues and have dwindled down to only getting 2 to 3 oz all day and my DD is refusing to nurse.  How do I get over it?  How do I get pass the guilt and crushed dreams?  I know this may seem really silly and probably is…but I find myself dwelling on this the last few days especially with the reality of it being done is nearing.

This is fixable! You don't have to get over it if you'd like to fix it instead.

Most often we see these happening when solids are introduced. So tell me about solid. Is she getting rthem before or after nurisng? How big are the bottles? (Should be no more than three pounces, she needs 8-10 ounces total for your 8-hour workday.)

Yes, the emotion is normal. But you can fix this if you'd like.

ms_kru_ger
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM

yup she was born by c section...and the nurses from the nursery made me feel HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!  You are absolutely right...legal slavery lol

We just started solids this week and it isn't consitant or anything that would interupt bottle feedings.  she has tried sweet potato a couple of times (i am making her baby food).  I was doing 3 oz bottles for the longest and she was not getting satisfied.  she would lose her mind when the bottle was gone.  so we upped the bottle to 5 oz about 2 or 3 weeks ago and that seemed to do the trick. 

she sleeps through the night...from like 7:30 to 5 or 5:30 when i wake her.  she has done that since she was about 2 months old.  so she eats a lot during the day...about 15 to 18 oz at daycare.  she is on the smaller side and has been since birth.  we are 6 months and only weigh about 13 lbs (which is around the 5th - 10th %, what the pedi told us). 

wonderwomanT08
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Its been a battle for us too. It is very.emotional. My lil one went on a nursing strike. How long has she been refusing?

I really thought it was the end a month ago but we.have been working on it. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Its ok to be upset! Hugs
ms_kru_ger
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:53 PM

she has been refusing for a few weeks now but I was able to get her to still nurse in the mornings.  now she won't even do the mornings.  I think that in itself is upsetting lol I remember when she used to get excited about nursing and now she just cries and cries...but bust out a ba ba and she is oh so excited lol she wont even latch, if i put her in the "position" she instantly starts crying.

thank you!!  not that is nice that you are dealing / dealt with this but it is nice to have someone who can relate.

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Quoting ms_kru_ger:

yup she was born by c section...and the nurses from the nursery made me feel HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!! 

Don't go back there. She was allowed 12% loss. Warn your pregnant friends too.

You are absolutely right...legal slavery lol

We just started solids this week and it isn't consitant or anything that would interupt bottle feedings.  she has tried sweet potato a couple of times (i am making her baby food).  I was doing 3 oz bottles for the longest and she was not getting satisfied.

Evict the word "satisfied" from your vocabulary. Doesn't apply. **smile** She's not supposed to get satisfied at the bottle. It's "sustenance" but not satisfaction.

she would lose her mind when the bottle was gone.  so we upped the bottle to 5 oz about 2 or 3 weeks ago and that seemed to do the trick. 

Better trick for you than more food.. same amount fed SLOWLY. Never go off the newborn nipple. One ounce, burp. Next ounce, burp. SLOW process. 

Think of the bottle as the slice of toast you grab running out the door. It'll keep you going till you can sit down for a Grand Slam breakfast (that's the breast). Bottle = famine, breast = feast. THat's how you avoid the nipple preference, which is what's going here.

she sleeps through the night...from like 7:30 to 5 or 5:30 when i wake her.  she has done that since she was about 2 months old.  so she eats a lot during the day...about 15 to 18 oz at daycare.  she is on the smaller side and has been since birth.  we are 6 months and only weigh about 13 lbs (which is around the 5th - 10th %, what the pedi told us). 

Percentiles mean NOTHING till they measure academic achievement. She should be gaining about a pound a month from LOWEST weight, so how's she doing on that score?

She's getting too much at daycare. Her total daily need is 24-32 ounces and she should be getting more from you than from the bottle.

Start sneaking those bottles down smaller. The caregivers need to be able to cope or you find a new daycare that can. Google "bottlefeeding the breastfed baby" or search this group for it. There's a great article on the proper method. I think it comes from kellymom.com but I'm not positive.

As I said before, this is fixable if you want. Nothing you write indicates a huge problem and you can get her back on the breast. The biggest obstacle you face is your caregivers, it seems. 

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I should also warn you that if they decrease the bottles sleeping through the night will likely cease. But that's OK. Waking is SIDS defense.

ms_kru_ger
by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM

how do I bring my supply back from only getting 2 or 3 oz a day?  is that possible?  i have read briefly about relactation.

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM

By putting baby to breast as often as possible. Pumping every two hours around the clock, too. What pump are you using?

Quoting ms_kru_ger:

how do I bring my supply back from only getting 2 or 3 oz a day?  is that possible?  i have read briefly about relactation.

ms_kru_ger
by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM

i have the closer to nature by tommee tippee, i have used the medela when i first started having supply issues to see if that was the problem.

ms_kru_ger
by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:23 PM

also, what is the best way to get ther to latch without freaking out.  i have tried squeezing some milk to give her a taste, putting her on while crying, and trying to wait out the crying...nothing seems to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)