Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Someone please help =[ Idk why my DD is doing this

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

My DD is 4 weeks old and is a preemie, born at 36 weeks. She eats every 3 hours, sleeping inbetween feedings. The last few days though, she's been stay awake from like 2pm-9pm, which is fine! But she is fussy the WHOLE time. I either have to nurse her or we have to walk with her which sometimes doesnt even help. Why is she like this? Is this normal for a newborn?? 

I see that a lot of you are saying to just put her to the breast. But when I do just let her eat until she seems content, she pukes =[

by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TardisBlue
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM
If you think there might be something wrong with her, go see her doctor. But sometimes babies just need lots of comfort. It's easier to just give in and enjoy holding her and nursing her. There will come a time when you look at your daughter and see the tears in her eyes because middle school can be cruel and you will remember when you could make her world a warm and safe place just by holding her.
SadieJames
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Very very normal mama! It's just cluster feeding.  Put her to the breast : )

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM

It's completely normal for newborns to have a fussy period in the evening.  Just let her nurse and hold her, and do what you can to keep her calm. :)

gumeshoe
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Mine used to make me hold him from 6pm until bedtime for the longest time. I had to cook and shower before then. It was rough at times.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Yes!!!! Very normal! Just keep her on the breast as long and as often as she wants. There's a reason they call that first 3 months of a baby's life the 4th trimester :)
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 31, 2013 at 10:13 PM

It's normal newborn behavior.  You're just starting to see it now because she's reached her due date.  Keep putting her to breast when she fusses--she'll let you know if she doesn't want to eat.

MommyO2-6631
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Very very normal! It's like her way of winding down at the end of the day because right now the world is over stimulating to her. All the noises and lights. Just put her to the breast. This stage too will pass.
maggiemom2000
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Normal!

Nursing every 3 hours is not very often at this stage. Baby may need to "cluster" feed in the afternoon and evening to make up for the fact that she is going so long between feedings the rest of the time. Just keep nursing!

mckinneymom918
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Put her the breast. My 9 month old nurses every 2 hours and still gets fussy in the early evening and nurses a few minutes about every hour.
coffeemom37043
by Dare on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

She has been eating until she pukes when I do that though...

Quoting SadieJames:

Very very normal mama! It's just cluster feeding.  Put her to the breast : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)