Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to work,pumping question

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son is 11 weeks today and I started back to work today:(  I'm only working 24 hours a week,3 eight hour shifts but time away from him will be about 9 hours.I had about 15 ounces of milk in the freezer,now only about 5 ounces left.Today he drank 6 ounces between 12-5  at daycare then my dh brought him and i took lunch and nursed  for about 20 minutes.My dh said he was rooting a lot about an hour after that so he fed him the last bag of milk I pulled out. I got home early and I could tell he was hungry  and he just nursed for about 25 min.Now my concern, I was only able to pump just shy of 3 ounces twice today, my third pumping session would have been at 730 but I got off early ,so on a normal day ill be pumping about 9 ounces while working. I feel like that isn't enough based on how much he wanted today (no concern about supply when im home and nursing on demand)  Should I upping my supply somehow? Or is this normal? Thanks!! 

by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
maggiemom2000
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Sounds like baby got too much milk in bottles. What kind of bottles are you using? Do his caregivers have info on how to bottle feed in a way that supports breastfeeding?

Here's some info for you.

How much milk will my baby need while I’m away?

Breastfed babies need, on average, 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day (Kent et al., 2006). If you spread that amount over a full day it equals 1-1.25 ounces per hour. With that information in mind, plan on leaving about 1-1.25 ounces of milk for each hour of separation. Most breastfed babies need no more than 2-4 ounces at each feeding (Kent et al., 2006). Breastfed babies need less milk than formula-fed babies do, and unlike with formula, the amount of breastmilk your baby needs does not increase as he grows bigger. When you return to work, your baby will need only a portion of this daily amount of milk from the care provider, because he will still be getting much of it by breastfeeding during the hours of the day and night when you are together.

Offering smaller bottles, of no more than 2-4 ounces, means there is a smaller chance that your baby will not finish his bottle and leave milk that must be thrown away by licensed daycares. 

How many times do I need to express milk at work?

How many times you pump at work will depend on a few factors: how long you are away from baby, how well you respond to milk-expression, and your work situation. Many working moms plan to pump milk at least as often as every 3 hours. If you are becoming engorged between pumping times, you may need to remove milk more frequently. Every mother has her own “magic number”and will differ in how frequently she needs to express her milk to both maintain milk production and provide enough expressed milk for her baby. Try to remove milk as often as it takes to collect enough for your next work day.
Whereismymind
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Thanks gor this info :)

We are using dr.browns 4 ounce bottles. He had two bottles I pre filled with 3 ounces each for daycare which seems fine for the 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour(he was there 5 hours) when he is home with me he cluster feeds from about 5-9 so perhaps that's why he wanted a lot during that time. Oh and the bottle my DH gave him was 2 ounces I think. 

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Sounds like baby got too much milk in bottles. What kind of bottles are you using? Do his caregivers have info on how to bottle feed in a way that supports breastfeeding?

Here's some info for you.

How much milk will my baby need while I’m away?

Breastfed babies need, on average, 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day (Kent et al., 2006). If you spread that amount over a full day it equals 1-1.25 ounces per hour. With that information in mind, plan on leaving about 1-1.25 ounces of milk for each hour of separation. Most breastfed babies need no more than 2-4 ounces at each feeding (Kent et al., 2006). Breastfed babies need less milk than formula-fed babies do, and unlike with formula, the amount of breastmilk your baby needs does not increase as he grows bigger. When you return to work, your baby will need only a portion of this daily amount of milk from the care provider, because he will still be getting much of it by breastfeeding during the hours of the day and night when you are together.

Offering smaller bottles, of no more than 2-4 ounces, means there is a smaller chance that your baby will not finish his bottle and leave milk that must be thrown away by licensed daycares. 

How many times do I need to express milk at work?

How many times you pump at work will depend on a few factors: how long you are away from baby, how well you respond to milk-expression, and your work situation. Many working moms plan to pump milk at least as often as every 3 hours. If you are becoming engorged between pumping times, you may need to remove milk more frequently. Every mother has her own “magic number”and will differ in how frequently she needs to express her milk to both maintain milk production and provide enough expressed milk for her baby. Try to remove milk as often as it takes to collect enough for your next work day.

SadieJames
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Remember if baby nurses before you leave and when you pickup then you can shave off at least two hours.  Babies suck a lot for comfort and until your provider finds another way to comfort it may *seem* like you need more.

Whereismymind
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM
That's true,I'll tell my DH that he will have to find another way to soothe him. He told me last night ds was rooting a lot so he made a bottle but I think ds was more tired than anything.

Quoting SadieJames:

Remember if baby nurses before you leave and when you pickup then you can shave off at least two hours.  Babies suck a lot for comfort and until your provider finds another way to comfort it may *seem* like you need more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)