Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The biting doesnt stop

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM
  • 10 Replies

My son keeps biting despite how many times I take him off and tell him no biting and wait a while after to breastfeed him. He has 2 teeth that are razor sharp and I cannot tolerate the pain anymore. I get bite on average at least 8 times a day. My boobs hurt soo bad. I read on bf manners but they dont seem to be working with him. Does anyone else have advise to get him to stop biting? I have done all the tricks including giving him something cold to bite on to teething gels, tyneol, you name it.

Please help. I have made it to 8 months and 9 days breastfeeding and I dont want it to end because of this.

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Is he getting any solids before nursing? He must NOT.

Jenoon
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

He is EBF...He gets a few bites of food but only after he nurses and only maybe 3 or 4 spoons once or twice a day.

Quoting gdiamante:

Is he getting any solids before nursing? He must NOT.

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:39 AM

So my LC gave me great advice when my DS starting biting and it worked. If he bites you remove him from the breast and say outch or owie or something along those lines (use the same word every time) and relatch him, he bites again, say owie and set him on the floor, when he goes back put him on the other side, if he bites a 3rd time say owie and set him back down, and don't feed him for 5 min...odds are you relatch him and he wont bite if he does keep removing him and setting him down for 5 min.

I only had to do it 2x with my DS and he cought right on 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Yep. Put him in a safe place where he cannot access the breast, and you don't give him anything else either. Some kids take longer than others to get the message.

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

So my LC gave me great advice when my DS starting biting and it worked. If he bites you remove him from the breast and say outch or owie or something along those lines (use the same word every time) and relatch him, he bites again, say owie and set him on the floor, when he goes back put him on the other side, if he bites a 3rd time say owie and set him back down, and don't feed him for 5 min...odds are you relatch him and he wont bite if he does keep removing him and setting him down for 5 min.

I only had to do it 2x with my DS and he cought right on 

Lauren486
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I wish I had advice but I just came on to post the same problem.  I too have tried the above methods.  They worked fine for my 2nd daughter but with #3, nothing phases her.  I hope things get better for you! 

Jenoon
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Thanks everyone. I was lucky not to get bitten yesterday soo bad. I watch him like a hawk but I feel it makes our nursing sessions more stressful. I hope he gets the hang of it soon that he shouldnt be biting mama. I feel bad sometimes for him because I dont have to tell him sometimes not to bite. He will bite then unlatch himself and cry. Poor baby!

Jenoon
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Hi Lauren, Hope you are well. Sorry you are going through the same issue. I havent heard from you in some time. How is your baby girl doing.

Quoting Lauren486:

I wish I had advice but I just came on to post the same problem.  I too have tried the above methods.  They worked fine for my 2nd daughter but with #3, nothing phases her.  I hope things get better for you! 

chirpymama87
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Josie bit me for the first-time the other day.. I stuck my index in her mouth, rescued my nipple after prying out from her two liytle hamster teeth, and set her down. Thank God she hasn't bitten me since. A lady from my daughter's birth month group said to lightly cover her face with my boob and she'll let go. I'll try it next time but maybe you should try it too if he doesn't let go.
The constant biting problem though, idk.
Lauren486
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:33 AM

I was thinking the same for you.  We have all been well. Sarah has surgery in just over 2 weeks due to craniosynostosis.  It is still surreal to me at times because she is a perfectly happy healthy baby, so it is so difficult to put her (and us) through this.  We will have family visiting at the time to help, which will be nice, especially for the older girls. 

How are you and your kiddos doing?

Quoting Jenoon:

Hi Lauren, Hope you are well. Sorry you are going through the same issue. I havent heard from you in some time. How is your baby girl doing.

Quoting Lauren486:

Jenoon
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Poor baby! Im sorry she is going through this and so is the family. I will keep her in my thoughts that everything goes smoothly with her. We are well here as well. The kids and working full time keep me really busy. Its soo much work. Jennah will be going to preschool in the fall and Sam is crawling, standing and trying to take steps already at 8 months so I am constantly chasing him so he doesnt keep falling on the hard floors we have here. I hope the biting gets better for all of us.

Quoting Lauren486:

I was thinking the same for you.  We have all been well. Sarah has surgery in just over 2 weeks due to craniosynostosis.  It is still surreal to me at times because she is a perfectly happy healthy baby, so it is so difficult to put her (and us) through this.  We will have family visiting at the time to help, which will be nice, especially for the older girls. 

How are you and your kiddos doing?

Quoting Jenoon:

Quoting Lauren486:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)