Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like I'm not producing as much anymore.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM
  • 21 Replies
Lately I've been feelin that I'm not producing as mush as I was about a month ago. I drink plenty of water and eat healthy foods. My dd is 5 mo will be 6mo on the 15th. Any one go through this feeling? I feel this way because I don't hear her swallowing after every suck it will be after every few sucks then I can hear her swallow. After she is there for about 10 min she will stop then about 10 min later she will be back at it again like she hasn't eaten in hours.
So while I drink lots of water, eat good and I even use that mothers milk tea once in a while but could this just be happening?
I started everything fast so I am wondering it I'm going to slow down my productions as well.
I really want to bf as long as possible but feel like it will be stopping soon.
So anyone go through anything similar? If so what did you do? What happened?
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Her diaper count is the indication of how much she's getting. If she's going through at least 5 or 6 in 24 hours, she's getting plenty. Babies get very efficient with nursing as they get older and can get the milk out very well. I didn't always hear mine swallowing, either. They did swallow after every third or fourth suck--what you're experiencing is perfectly normal. You may have had overactive letdown/ oversupply in the beginning which has regulated itself.
Teething can affect the way she sucks, as well as being interested in her surroundings. Gnawing her hands and drooling are signs of that. Treat for teething pain before nursing. You may find that nursing in a quiet, shaded room and lying down to nurse is also helpful. has lots of information on teething, and nursing as babies get older. Odds are, both of you ate doing just fine!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
This is a common "issue" for moms....the belief that supply is an issue when it isn't. If she made it this far without major's likely a nonissue.

Babies change eating habits and that may be what you are seeing.

Diaper count okay?
by Kate on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM

If diaper count is okay (4-5 wets per day at this age, 4 tablespoons of water is equivalent to a wet), your supply is fine.  You're hitting the 6 month growth spurt, a supply regulation, teething, and a baby who's starting to get interested in the world around her... habits are bound to change.  It's perfectly normal to not hear swallowing.  As long as you're still nursing and you're not pregnant, you won't just dry up.  Heck, my 3 year old ds hasn't nursed in 2.5 months and I still have milk.

As you start solids, do make sure that you nurse fully immediately before offering any solids--that helps to protect supply.

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Sounds normal. Your supply is regulating further and around six months is a growth spurt. As long as diapers are normal then there is NO issue. Stop doubting yourself because your are doing great!
by Marta on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM
She could be having a growth spurt. Ds 6 month growth spurt was the one I felt the most. But it passes. Just go with the flow, don't stress unless the diaper count drops.
by Gina on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Never heard ONE swallow in 26 months of nursing. Hearing a sawallow means nothing.

Continual nursing is normal and will happen a lot.

The ONLY thing that matters is the one thing you didn't mention in your OP. Diapers. 4-5 changes per day at this age.

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Thanks ladies I feel better knowing that she is getting enough. And yeah I change her diaper around 5-6 times a day that is both kinds of changes. I will continue to nurse and I will also nurse before I offer solids I usually do it after but ill start doing before.
by mel on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM

She not really old enough for solids. And definetly NO solids until after a full nursing session. There isn't enough nutrition in the solids and she can't properly process them so breastmilk remains the primary source of nutrition with solids just being complimentary until 1yr

by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM
You might want to take a look at the article on about starting solids. Lots of good information there.
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM

SInce you have given solids your supply MAY be low, I would stop them for a bit til shes atleast 6 months then offer them in tiny amounts after nursing fully

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)