Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing manners in a 4 month old.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
  • 3 Replies

I've read posts about nursing manners, but the seem to have to do with older babies.  

My 4 month old is starting to have issues with manners :)

When she is hungry or wants boob, she will pull at my shirt.  She goes right for the top and tries to pull it down.  She's not fussy at all, she just wants to eat.  

This may be a silly "duh" question -- but I feel like if I don't correct the behavior now, I'm setting myself up for a world of difficulty later. 

How do I correct it? 

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gabi0921
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I don't have any answers but am having similar issues with my ds, also uust turned 4 mon, he has started pulling on nipple and twisting his head while still latched. I also want to set up good manners... so here's a bump

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I personally didnt worry aboutbit at four months, but you sure can teach her to ask at that age, by using sign language. We signed the word "milk' and 'more'.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I would start moving her hand and showing her the sign for milk when she does that, while saying "milk, please" or "nurse, please" or whatever you'd eventually like her to say.  By modeling the desired behavior every time you're likely to get there faster. :) At 5 months we had to do nursing manners for biting, but I don't think I used any consequences for not asking politely until I knew that Nathan actually could ask politely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)