Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whey protein

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone know where I can find information about drinking whey protein shakes while breastfeeding? I have looked around on the internet and found conflicting results but none that have their sources listed. 

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

From what I understand they're fine but they are milk based so that much *more* dairy protein can cause problems in LOs who didnt previously have a problem with dairy.  

Are you wanting to drink one after a workout or something?  The detox ones are a no go.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Whey protein shakes are fine if there are no dairy issues. No special considerations. They're merely a food.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

They're fine--just a food.  Try to find one without a ton of additives just for your own health, easier said than done I know.  I use Dymatize Elite and I like it.

HungryForTruth
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Yes, I would like to drink one after a workout. Would a soy protein shake be better than a whey protein shake? Or is the concern primarily the milk product? 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM
If a baby is uncomfortable with dairy, soy may cause the same problem. The proteins are similar. I do not use soy myself because it acts like estrogen in the body.
big_red05
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I am NOT a fan of soy for the body.. Whey is ok just pick one that doesn't have a ton of additives like pp said
big_red05
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I actually use shakeology because there are not any gmos and it has a lot of other nutrients
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Just one after a workout? Six of one, half dozen of the other. Have what you like. As long as baby doesn't react it's not a problem either way.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

The only concern with a whey protein powder is if your baby has a milk protein allergy and your'e already avoiding dairy.  Otherwise it's fine.

Quoting HungryForTruth:

Yes, I would like to drink one after a workout. Would a soy protein shake be better than a whey protein shake? Or is the concern primarily the milk product? 

HungryForTruth
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM

My husband uses the six star brand so I suppose that's what I will use. The shakeology shakes have green tea extract in it which should be avoided while nursing. 

Quoting big_red05:

I actually use shakeology because there are not any gmos and it has a lot of other nutrients

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)