Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nursing strike?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 3 Replies

My son is 18 months, and I think he is cutting his eye teeth. Normally when he is teething he nurses more frequently for comfort, but he has hardly nursed at all today or yesterday. He will generally nurse 2-3 times a night still for comfort. We co sleep, so that isn't a big deal for me because I can generally get us both back to sleep pretty quickly. Last night my son did not nurse at all, even though he woke a few times around the same time he would normally wake to nurse but when I offered it to him he just refused it. He has also had a fever, which I think is just from the teething. It is now almost 3:30 pm and he has not really nursed adequately since about 7:00 this morning. My boobs are killing me, they haven't been this full since he was a newborn. They are rock hard and I swear, if I barely even touch them they start spraying milk. Any ideas?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ttparks
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
During nursing strikes, I ended up pumping. After expressing the milk, I offered it to him in a cup (which he didn't take), then used it in his cereal (which he did eat). As he began to feel better, I was able to nurse him while sleepy, then he continued on his own. If you are engorged, it may turn him off as well (it did with my sons because it felt different and, even at an older age of 18 months, it was weird to latch). Hang in there! Hope your little guy feels better soon.
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Pump for relief. And do offer him teething tablets or Tylenol to help with the pain.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Pump for relief, offer tylenol for pain, consider getting him seen tomorrow to get his ears checked--his behavior sounds suspiciously like an ear infection rather than teething.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)