Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

working and extended bf'ding

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM
  • 11 Replies
So I have a question. I might be working full time and my 18 month old has been nursing since he's been born. during the day he nurses about 4-5 times still and I just want to know if by me working will it affect my supply and how will I go about getting engorged. I plan to still nurse until he weans, so how do you working moms still extend bf?
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I worked from ten weeks to 26 months. At one year I dumped the pump. No engorgement at all; as time goes on your body gets better at the "on demand" routine.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:04 AM
What Gina said. With DD I weaned from the pump starting around 11 months. By 1year I was done with the pump. Doing it that way I didn't have to deal with engorgement issues.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I personally would bring a pump to work and only pump if I was engorged. Dd is 18 months and she gets water, solids while I'm at work and nurses 4-6 times at home.
McM0609
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM
So I should only pump to relieve engorgement?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM

There may not be any engprgement to relieve. Have your pump handy, sure.

birdiemom
by Allison on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I am working full time and nursing an almost 16 month old. I stopped pumping at 1 year, and he eats meals well at daycare. Sometimes if its a long day I hand express some milk to make myself comfortable, but DS attacks me when I pick him up at daycare, lol. He loves his milk.
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I stopped pumping at work at 18 months. No engorgement and my supply adjusted fine. Ds was able to nurse all day on the weekends if he wanted and I still didn't need to pump at work after 18 months.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM
My dd will be 2 this month and she still nurses a lot. I work full time and just started last month. Before I started working, she would nurse almost every 2-3 hours during the day and a few times each night. I thought I would get super engorged since I wouldn't have time to pump during the day (I'm a housekeeper at a hotel). I have gotten more full, but never engorged even after working a 10 hr day with no pump.
The first thing my dd wants to do when we get home is nurse which helps us reconnect and relieve me.
kellymom127
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM

ME ME ME!

With my first I weaned down to 3 times a day so that I didn't have to bring my pump to work and nurse those times when we were together.

With number 2 , I am down to 2 pumping sessions a day (16 months) since he is still very attached to it and not good with sippy cups yet.

You need to go slowly so that your supply can adjust according without you feeling uncomfortable.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I dont pump when away and nurse on demand when home..is there ever a time your LO goes without nursing for 6-8 hours? my guy did after a year sometimes so it worked well for us when I went back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)