Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I hope to breast feed for at least a year... Suggestions

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am 7 months pregnant, and I am big on breast feeding. With my ds, I only supplied enough milk for six months and then dried up... I thought it was because he was a big baby, but everyone says no, just because they are big, doesn't mean u wont supply enough for them... I don't know where I went wrong, and I would love some advice.. Thank you in advance

edit.... Also I wld like ds and dh to be able to be involved in feelings, is pumping every here and there going to affect the supply or baby in a negative way?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM
You did what every mom does, you worried and doubted yourself:) Here's my advice:
Have baby checked for tongue and lip ties in the hospital and at the doctor.
After a while, you'll stop feeling full. That's good because it means your body has regulated your supply. Soft boobs are working ones.
Don't keep formula in the house unless you live too far away from a store to buy some in an emergency.
And lastly, don't worry about it. You won't dry up until long after you stop nursing, and you will produce more than enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Corinnesingh
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Thank u very much for this advice, it is great! I appreciate the response.

Quoting polkaspots:

You did what every mom does, you worried and doubted yourself:) Here's my advice:
After a while, you'll stop feeling full. That's good because it means your body has regulated your supply. Soft boobs are working ones.
Don't keep formula in the house unless you live too far away from a store to buy some in an emergency.
And lastly, don't worry about it. You won't dry up until long after you stop nursing, and you will produce more than enough.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Np:) and about your edit, lots of pumping before your supply regulates is a bad idea because it causes oversupply, and bottles before 6weeks can cause nipple preference. Doing it once it twice before then probably wouldn't do any harm, but it just seemed better to me to wait.

Quoting Corinnesingh:

Thank u very much for this advice, it is great! I appreciate the response.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Quoting Corinnesingh:

I am 7 months pregnant, and I am big on breast feeding. With my ds, I only supplied enough milk for six months and then dried up... I thought it was because he was a big baby, but everyone says no, just because they are big, doesn't mean u wont supply enough for them... I don't know where I went wrong, and I would love some advice.. Thank you in advance

What were your symptoms of drying up? Most moms who think they have are actually mistaken.

Some general guidelines: The dipe count is your indicator. At six months about 5 changes a day. Infant behavior tells you NOTHING. A growth spurt comes at six months and if baby's not a demanding cranky pain in the butt, check him for a pulse. **grin** Your breasts are supposed to get soft and floppy with regulation so that also tells you nothing. And expected pump output is half an ounce to two ounces total; more is gravy and less is not a worry. There are moms who can nurse twins yet not pump a single drop.

Also at six months, solids are typically introduced. They are an afterhought. Breast first, solids after, all the way to year one.

edit.... Also I wld like ds and dh to be able to be involved in feelings, is pumping every here and there going to affect the supply or baby in a negative way?

It's going to be a pain for you. Better to involve them by letting them do things OTHER than feeding. Like bath time. It's the best interaction of the day.

Corinnesingh
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Thank u.i am sad to not be a ble to offer a bottle, but what is most important is that,I get him to feed from me. So I think that will work best. No bottles

to answer ur question, I figured I dried up, cause he was ALWAYS on the boob, like he wasn't getting anything. I didn't think I was supplying enough for him..

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Corinnesingh:

What were your symptoms of drying up? Most moms who think they have are actually mistaken.

Some general guidelines: The dipe count is your indicator. At six months about 5 changes a day. Infant behavior tells you NOTHING. A growth spurt comes at six months and if baby's not a demanding cranky pain in the butt, check him for a pulse. **grin** Your breasts are supposed to get soft and floppy with regulation so that also tells you nothing. And expected pump output is half an ounce to two ounces total; more is gravy and less is not a worry. There are moms who can nurse twins yet not pump a single drop.

Also at six months, solids are typically introduced. They are an afterhought. Breast first, solids after, all the way to year one.

It's going to be a pain for you. Better to involve them by letting them do things OTHER than feeding. Like bath time. It's the best interaction of the day.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Nope. You were perfect and didn't know it. They're SUPPOSED to be always on the breast at fairly regular intervals, usually divisible by three. Six months is a big growth spurt.

As long as you're changing enough dipes, you're fine.

Quoting Corinnesingh:
to answer ur question, I figured I dried up, cause he was ALWAYS on the boob, like he wasn't getting anything. I didn't think I was supplying enough for him..
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Just do it! Allow no nipples other than your own anywhere near your baby. As mentioned earlier, check for lip and tongue ties before you leave the hospital. Expect baby to be attached to the breast all the time at intervals--3 weeks, six weeks, 3 mo.tbd, etc. Demand increases supply, diaper output is the accurate indicator. Read posts here and bookmark kellymom.com.
SadieJames
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Ask questions!! Come in here and ask, ask, ask : ) most everything is normal, and I doubt a lot of the ladies in here will have never seen your problem : ) 

immediately after birth, immediately, put baby on your chest and nurse.  Expect to nurse at every single wiggle for the first few weeks.  Get a wrap or sling and learn to use it : )

paknari
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I use a bottle and pump while I'm at work. I have had no nipple confusion and dd always prefers breast over bottle. Maybe I'm lucky. Pumping has always helped me keep regulated if I'm ever away from baby. I don't pump at all if I'm around the baby though. I just feed on demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN