Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I feel like I'm failing at Breastfeeding....Help

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 45 Replies

My son will be 2 months this Thursday.... I've been doing my best to strictly breastfeed. Sometimes though I have to leave him, and I try pumping and I just can seem to get enough. I'm only pumping like 3oz a session. When I'm actually just feeding him he seems to eat enough, so why can't I pump enough. It's hard on me because I have to work so pumping is a must I think, and it seems like I cant hardly get any out of the left boob as I do the right. I drink lots of water, I've been eating much healthier. What is wrong. I feel stressed out, sad, I just want to cry I'm so frustrated, and the idea of quitting or giving him formula just makes me feel horrible and guilty. I really want to stick with the breastfeeding.. I'm feeling so discouraged

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I can't pump at all, so I'm not really sure. But I think 2oz is a normal pump output so you're doing fine... Just try to pump more often I guess? You pump at work, right?

Maddies_Mommy10
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah at work, when I'm home I usually just try to strictly feed him myself no bottle or pump.

Quoting Zazayam:

I can't pump at all, so I'm not really sure. But I think 2oz is a normal pump output so you're doing fine... Just try to pump more often I guess? You pump at work, right?

Analugojana
by Christine on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM

How long are you gone, how often do you pump and how much milk does thebaby get while you are gone?

Brandy85412
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
3ozs is good. it's normal. Just need to get a good supply stashed up. Do you pump every day?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
your not failing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_Mommy10
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I only work part time so like 6 hours, I try to pump every two hours, but no more than every three, and he eats about 4oz, every two hours, but sometimes more.

Quoting Analugojana:

How long are you gone, how often do you pump and how much milk does thebaby get while you are gone?

Zazayam
by Nicki on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

You might have to add a pump session or two while you're home. You could probably nurse one side and pump the other..

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

Yeah at work, when I'm home I usually just try to strictly feed him myself no bottle or pump.

Quoting Zazayam:

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM
4 moms liked this

3 oz is not an only. Average output is 1/2 to 2 oz! Pump output is not a reflection of supply because baby is MUCH more efficient than a machine. You're doing MUCH better than you think you are! Just make sure that bottles aren't too big (you want about 1.25 oz per hour of separation) 

Maddies_Mommy10
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Yes, unless I'm off, but I guess I should pump then too so I can start a stash. My friend pumps like 6oz every time, and I'm like I can do like three, she made it seem like it wasn't normal, but if it is that's a little more comforting.

Quoting Brandy85412:

3ozs is good. it's normal. Just need to get a good supply stashed up. Do you pump every day?

Maddies_Mommy10
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

That's actually a good idea.

Quoting Zazayam:

You might have to add a pump session or two while you're home. You could probably nurse one side and pump the other..

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

Quoting Zazayam:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)