Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I feel like I'm failing at Breastfeeding....Help

My son will be 2 months this Thursday.... I've been doing my best to strictly breastfeed. Sometimes though I have to leave him, and I try pumping and I just can seem to get enough. I'm only pumping like 3oz a session. When I'm actually just feeding him he seems to eat enough, so why can't I pump enough. It's hard on me because I have to work so pumping is a must I think, and it seems like I cant hardly get any out of the left boob as I do the right. I drink lots of water, I've been eating much healthier. What is wrong. I feel stressed out, sad, I just want to cry I'm so frustrated, and the idea of quitting or giving him formula just makes me feel horrible and guilty. I really want to stick with the breastfeeding.. I'm feeling so discouraged

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Your LO is being overfed honey..he needs 3 oz bottles and only eery 2.5-3 hour..if he eats every 2 hours then ive 2-2.5 oz bottles.

Think 1-1.25 oz an hour! 3 oz pumping sessions are awesome!

Stick with slow flow nipples...the newborn ones, small bottles always, baby should be held upright almost sitting up when fed NOT laying down at all, and should be burped after each ounce.  BF babies are different when fed bottles and it confuses people.

Analugojana
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM

When you are away baby should not get bottles larger than 3 ounces, ever, and the rule is 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation. Nurse before you leave and right when you het back and I think your pumping output is more than sufficient.

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

I only work part time so like 6 hours, I try to pump every two hours, but no more than every three, and he eats about 4oz, every two hours, but sometimes more.

Quoting Analugojana:

How long are you gone, how often do you pump and how much milk does thebaby get while you are gone?

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Um, no. 6 oz is not the norm. I nursed twins and couldn't pump that much! 

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

Yes, unless I'm off, but I guess I should pump then too so I can start a stash. My friend pumps like 6oz every time, and I'm like I can do like three, she made it seem like it wasn't normal, but if it is that's a little more comforting.

Quoting Brandy85412:

3ozs is good. it's normal. Just need to get a good supply stashed up. Do you pump every day?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Maddies_Mommy10
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Your LO is being overfed honey..he needs 3 oz bottles and only eery 2.5-3 hour..if he eats every 2 hours then ive 2-2.5 oz bottles.

Stick with slow flow nipples...the newborn ones, small bottles always, baby should be held upright almost sitting up when fed NOT laying down at all, and should be burped after each ounce.  BF babies are different when fed bottles and it confuses people.

Thanks so much, I'll have to tell my husband all this. I'm feeling a lot better now!

Analugojana
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

To add: slowest nipple flow, always, caregiver should hold the bottle parallel tothe floor and burp after each ounce. He must work for his food, otherwise he might develop a nipple preference. 

Maddies_Mommy10
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Thanks so much ladies.... Not one person has ever told me any of this!!! Not even in my breast feeding class!

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
This... my boy just turned 12 months and always and still only takes 3 oz. Bottles. If I have a good pumping day I will give him 4oz. If he is fussy when you are gone it isn't hunger. You are doing great. Don't get discouraged.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Thats because they want to discourage bottle usage AND many BFing moms themselves dont understand bottlefeeding a BF baby.  I was a formula feeding mom and switched to Bfing and I struggled with this alot because I work full time til someone gave me the info that helped me be successful.

I also found that pumping once a day everyday(first thing in the morning gets the best results), keeps your pump response up and also gets you extra milk to store JUST in case you spill milk or get sick or something.

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

Thanks so much ladies.... Not one person has ever told me any of this!!! Not even in my breast feeding class!

Maddies_Mommy10
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Thanks so much..... It's such a relief hearing all this..... breastfeeding is so important to me. I'm feeling so much better!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Thats because they want to discourage bottle usage AND many BFing moms themselves dont understand bottlefeeding a BF baby.  I was a formula feeding mom and switched to Bfing and I struggled with this alot because I work full time til someone gave me the info that helped me be successful.

I also found that pumping once a day everyday(first thing in the morning gets the best results), keeps your pump response up and also gets you extra milk to store JUST in case you spill milk or get sick or something.

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN