Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I feel like I'm failing at Breastfeeding....Help

My son will be 2 months this Thursday.... I've been doing my best to strictly breastfeed. Sometimes though I have to leave him, and I try pumping and I just can seem to get enough. I'm only pumping like 3oz a session. When I'm actually just feeding him he seems to eat enough, so why can't I pump enough. It's hard on me because I have to work so pumping is a must I think, and it seems like I cant hardly get any out of the left boob as I do the right. I drink lots of water, I've been eating much healthier. What is wrong. I feel stressed out, sad, I just want to cry I'm so frustrated, and the idea of quitting or giving him formula just makes me feel horrible and guilty. I really want to stick with the breastfeeding.. I'm feeling so discouraged

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Most people don't know this. That's why so many women stop breastfeeding and end up giving formula before a year or think they have to switch because they "don't make enough". Tell your husband it's not a game to see how much he will take. It's more of a game to see how little lol. Because the less he takes from the bottle the more he will take directly from the breast so he only needs enough to tide him over while you are at work. Not fill him up. If he keeps giving more and more from the bottle then you won't be able to keep up. Your pump response will decrease with time. Not increase. It's also a good idea to pump once every morning at home even on off days. This will help you build a stash and keep your pump response up.
Steph_G.
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM

why would you so emphatically say that baby shouldn't get more than 3 ounces? My son is 7 weeks old and he consistently eats 4-5 ounces at the breast. (I've had him weighed before and after eating at a breast feeding support group every week), why when giving him a bottle would I force him to stop at 3 ounces?

Quoting Analugojana:

When you are away baby should not get bottles larger than 3 ounces, ever, and the rule is 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation. Nurse before you leave and right when you het back and I think your pumping output is more than sufficient.

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

I only work part time so like 6 hours, I try to pump every two hours, but no more than every three, and he eats about 4oz, every two hours, but sometimes more.

Quoting Analugojana:

How long are you gone, how often do you pump and how much milk does thebaby get while you are gone?

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

1 feeding doesn't tell you anything. On average a bf baby takes 24-32oz a day. The amount will vary from feeding to feeding. If you divide total ounces to hours you get an average of 1-1ยท25 an hour. A breastfed baby receiving a bottle is only given 3oz so to ensure the breastfeeding relationship is maintained. It's compared as the bottle representing a paper bag lunch and the breast a buffet.

Quoting Steph_G.:

why would you so emphatically say that baby shouldn't get more than 3 ounces? My son is 7 weeks old and he consistently eats 4-5 ounces at the breast. (I've had him weighed before and after eating at a breast feeding support group every week), why when giving him a bottle would I force him to stop at 3 ounces?

Quoting Analugojana:

When you are away baby should not get bottles larger than 3 ounces, ever, and the rule is 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation. Nurse before you leave and right when you het back and I think your pumping output is more than sufficient.

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

I only work part time so like 6 hours, I try to pump every two hours, but no more than every three, and he eats about 4oz, every two hours, but sometimes more.

Quoting Analugojana:

How long are you gone, how often do you pump and how much milk does thebaby get while you are gone?

happymommy1105
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I also had to explain to my boyfriend that every time baby makes a noise does not mean he is hungry.  He maybe wet or want a change in what's going on.  sometimes he just needs a little TLC..but not always food.  

My boyfriend was constantly telling me baby was hungry when I knew he wasn't- I knew he wanted something else.  He did this when I was away and when I am around.  

He thinks that baby making noise= hunger............but it doesn't always. 

and like the other ladies said- 3oz bottles, nurse right before you leave and as soon as you get home.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Three ounces is a HUGE amount. Normal output is half an oucne to two ounces. You're overachieving. You're pumping plenty.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM

GOOD LORD! Did someone mistake your baby for the fatted calf?

I'm just catching up so I'm sure you've already seen this. Baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour, NO MORE. So 6 - 6.5 ounces for your shift.

There's a caregiver failure here, nothing more than that.

Now I'm going to read through the rest of the thread. **grin**

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Sadly, most breastfeeding classes fall very short of the mark. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. You'll leanr much more.

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10:

Thanks so much ladies.... Not one person has ever told me any of this!!! Not even in my breast feeding class!

Nolanzo
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM
You are most certainly not failing! You're doing great!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

The idea is first, that bottles are only to be given when mom's not present, and second, that the bottle is merely a tide-over and NOT to fill him up. Baby should be HUNGRY when mom gets home. The breast is feast. The bottle is supposed to be famine. This is supply protection.  If you give five ounce bottles constantly you will eventually run into problems because then he'll nurse less at the breast, thus slowing supply.

Think of the bottle as the slice of toast you have when running out the door, and the breast as the Denny's Grand Slam. You want baby to take less at the bottle so he continues to stimulate your supply.

Quoting Steph_G.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN