Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

am... i being used as a pacifier?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 32 Replies
We nurse on side now, usually on the breast that give more milk so I don't need to think about it. Well, after he has he fill he usually pulls off and rests his head on me and we take a nap. Other times he will pass out for a few minutes, wake back up, sometimes upset, and go right back on, but while he is sucking he is letting the milk come out of his mouth. He does have a decent latch when he is doing this, just not swallowing. Is that normal? Am I just a pacifier at that point? Sorry its jumbled, I'm tired....
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this

YOU are not replacing a pacifier, a pacifier replaces YOU! He is comfort nursing.  It's great for supply.  Babies have an inherent need to suck and that need should be met at the breast.  

Be wary of only nursing on one side - it tells the other not to make any milk.  Make sure you nurse that side too : )

jb0520
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Everything pp said. My daughter is a comfort nurser and hates pacis so i let her comfort whenever:)
siergomez
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Haha, I try to avoid using a paci as much as possible.
When we nurse it kind of works like.... at night one side get favored over the other, but during the day when he does the most, we start on the slower, less milky side. I was just wondering because there is usually a big ole puddle underneith us, I was hoping it wasn't an issue, and he was definatley just comfort nursing. He hates plastic nipples and will only take a bottle of any kind if he thinks he's starving to death and daddy or aunty has to feed him.

Quoting SadieJames:

YOU are not replacing a pacifier, a pacifier replaces YOU! He is comfort nursing.  It's great for supply.  Babies have an inherent need to suck and that need should be met at the breast.  

Be wary of only nursing on one side - it tells the other not to make any milk.  Make sure you nurse that side too : )

siergomez
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM
We feed on demand. Or, nurse on demand. If he gets upset, its butt change and straight tto breast until he passes out, or starts spitting up a lot.

Quoting jb0520:

Everything pp said. My daughter is a comfort nurser and hates pacis so i let her comfort whenever:)

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Does this mean I shouldn't let my 2 month old suck on her hands? It's her new favorite thing.

Quoting SadieJames:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM
If she's happy and sucking on her hands, she wants to suck on her hands. :)

Quoting lillybug222:

Does this mean I shouldn't let my 2 month old suck on her hands? It's her new favorite thing.

Quoting SadieJames:

SadieJames
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Nope that's fine : ) but offer in case she wants to nurse! Sucking on hands becomes a hunger sign when babies get older but is also a sign of teething : )

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting SadieJames:

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM
She's typically happy. I think I can tell the difference between happy & hungry.

Quoting Ptitchou:

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting SadieJames:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM
She's not teething yet...she just loves her hands.

Quoting SadieJames:

Nope that's fine : ) but offer in case she wants to nurse! Sucking on hands becomes a hunger sign when babies get older but is also a sign of teething : )

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting SadieJames:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Um. Ok.

Quoting lillybug222:

She's typically happy. I think I can tell the difference between happy & hungry.

Quoting Ptitchou:

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting SadieJames:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN