Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Time Breastfeeder

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:57 AM
  • 11 Replies

As my due date nears im gettin nervous about breastfeeding i know i want to do it but im just nervous im gonna panic my main worry is that hes not going to gain weight or im going to do something wrong or hes not getting anything  and im going to be home alone freaking out did anyone else feel like this when they were breastfeeding for the first time? 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Yep. definetly had anxiety related to bf. I was determined not to give a drop of formula.
This group is very helpful and provides lots of info.
Biggest thing to do is educate yourself on typical breasfed baby expectations.
Loss up to 10% of birth weight. Then a gain of 4+oz a week from the lowest. The only indicator of supply if wet diaper count (1 per day of life until 1 week then 6 a day) etc.
Ask ask ask ask. No matter how little or big the question we're here to help.
AmandaNChris
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Thanks so much ive been researching like crazy I just think its better to hear it from moms who have been through it and words of encouragment when i try talking to my sister who has done it shes just negative and tells me its hard and dosent think i can do it. I know I can do it I need support to ease my nerves if that makes sense lol

mrsbrand
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM

The first 6 weeks is rough, be prepared for it, but you can push through. You might want to quit, I definitely wanted to. If you have issues GET SUPPORT!! Find a LLL or  LC. Nothing can compare to the help real hands on support that knows whats going on will give you. Ask questions whenever you have them. I am about to give birth to my second nursling and I have tons of questions I'm asking my LLL leader and midwife. 

The ladies in this group are AMAZING. Supportive and helpful, I've found this is always a safe place. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Ignore your sister.

Please go pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and read it through,. Better to have a completely empty nursery and that book than a stuffed nursery and no info.

It's not easy. Neither is parenting. It's the least hard part of parenting, but not one minute of parenting is easy. Be warned of that first. There will be many many many days when you ask yourself "why the hell did I do this?" And every once in a while you get the flash of brilliance that reminds you why. **grin**

Check out our resources sticky for a lot of getting started info. And one more thing for now:" In week one baby won't gain. Baby will LOSE. Up to ten percent of birth weight for a vaginal birth, up to 12% for a c-section. That's normal. Re-gain happens starting in week two. at a rate of 4-6 ouncs per week.

twogirl91
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Do you know anyone who has successfully breastfed who can come visit you after you have your baby to provide support? Support from people seemed to be the biggest thing I needed. My mom breastfed, my doula breastfed and they were the ones who kept me going. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I refused to let myself be nervous. I simply put the baby to breast any time he stirred. Babies are born to breastfeed!
AmandaNChris
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

me and my fiance moved here a year and a half ago his familys here but they have no clue about breastfeeding my sister did but shes 12 hours away i spoke to the WIC office here and she said if i ever need help with latching or anything or if i just want piece of mind that hes not losing to much weight i can come in anytime and talk to the lactation consultant and they will weigh him so that gives me piece of mind

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM
All of this!!!
The only thing that I'll add is to also go to kellymom.com and read everything there. Then come here and ask anything and everything that comes to mind. We will assure you that whenever you feel like no one else has experienced what you're going through, many of us have been there too.

Quoting gdiamante:

Ignore your sister.

Please go pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and read it through,. Better to have a completely empty nursery and that book than a stuffed nursery and no info.

It's not easy. Neither is parenting. It's the least hard part of parenting, but not one minute of parenting is easy. Be warned of that first. There will be many many many days when you ask yourself "why the hell did I do this?" And every once in a while you get the flash of brilliance that reminds you why. **grin**

Check out our resources sticky for a lot of getting started info. And one more thing for now:" In week one baby won't gain. Baby will LOSE. Up to ten percent of birth weight for a vaginal birth, up to 12% for a c-section. That's normal. Re-gain happens starting in week two. at a rate of 4-6 ouncs per week.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Did your sister struggle with breastfeeding? I did with my first and that's what led to my severe anxiety with my second child. It ended up being pointless worry because we've been nursing over a year now without any significant issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WildPowerMom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

We had a bad experience with our first kid and our Pedi not being supportive of breast feeding.  You probably have figured out who your Pedi is going to be?  Maybe a Top 3 list?  Call them and ask them specifically if they use the weight chart for BF or just FF babies.  They are different.  Ask them if they support breastfeeding and their views on BF babies slower weight gain. 

Make it like a job interview.  If you get the feeling you'd be pressured to stop because your baby isn't gaining weight like a FF baby then move to the next Pedi on the list!  It'll calm your nerves when you find yourself talking to a Pedi who loves BFing and plans to support you.

Here is a quick tip for ample weight gain at the Pedi's office: schedule your appointments around feeding time.  Or try to get your baby to eat just before the appointment.  The more that is in the belly and bladder the more the scale will read how you want it to read.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)