Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weening and Pregnancy

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son will be one year old on July 3rd (woohoo) and he is still fully breastfed.  He generally feeds 4 times a day and then if he gets hurt or something I'll let him "get a fix."  For our daughter we started to ween at 12 months and her last bit was at 15 months.  We wanted to try that path again, but we are wanting to start trying to get pregnant in August.  We're hoping to be pregnant no later than December.

Did any of you experience difficulty getting pregnant while nursing?  Should I consider weening him faster or sooner?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I wouldn't wean a child under one as I would have to supplement with formula.
Have you been watching for signs of fertility? Is your period back?
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I should add your fertility kind of comes back when it's ready.
I got preggo with dd2 when dd1 was about 18mo and I was still nursing full time and pumping at work.
TaralynnStewart
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I was one of those that thought you couldn't get pregnant while breastfeeding, no period means no ovulation right? Ummmm wrong for me! My DD weaned herself (14mths) when I was about 3mths.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WildPowerMom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:26 AM

My period came back around 6 months after giving birth.  I just read some articles that said not to let 6 hours go between feedings at night if I don't want to get pregnant.  Well, he goes for much longer than that, so I guess it won't be an issue.

I don't think I even know how to ween this one.  He's just so excited and attached to the time.  Or maybe I just want to be pregnant and still keep our cuddle time.  LOL.  I'm glad others didn't have a hard time getting knocked up.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:30 AM

As long as your cycle has returned, so has your fertility.  Go ahead and try now... no need to wean your baby to do that.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I got pregnant while bfing. DD weaned at 22 months when I was about 3 months along.
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM
my son is 22 months and still nursing
I didn't get my period back until Jan this year( putting him at 17 months)

I'm about 11 weeks pregnant and its my easiest pregnancy so far(#4) I'm attributing it to still nursing lol
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
No help here--I nursed through my pregnancy and tandemed afterward, till they weaned themselves.
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I wanted dd weaned by 12 months. But she's 13.5 months. And just starting to want it less. I'm hoping that shell be more weaned by vacation. Only for selfish reasons lol
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM
This

Quoting K8wizzo:

As long as your cycle has returned, so has your fertility.  Go ahead and try now... no need to wean your baby to do that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)