Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mothers Milk tea * New to group*

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 11 Replies

So I'm new to this group and I'm new to breastfeeding after 5yrs. Any good tips? What does everyone think of mothers milk tea? I used that with both my boys and its amazing. I sent some to my bff in LA but she tried to find more and couldn't. No one has ever heard of this stuff down by her. I learned about it in VA after I had my first son. Any other ideas to try other than the mothers milk tea? 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM
What issues is she having?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle are the traditionally recommended supply boosters, the main ingredients in mothers milk teas. Some people just take the herbs in capsule form. The teas can be expensive and you usually need at least 6 cups or so a day, so most boxes only last a few days. If she likes the tea she can buy it online easy enough. All the grocery stores by me sell it in the organic section, as well as all the natural health food stores. By LA I'm assuming you're talking Louisiana, which is one of the states with the lowest breastfeeding rates so I imagine the market for the tea is low.

Is there a reason she thinks she's having supply issues? She may not need any galactogogues. Fussy growth spurts, pushy pediatricians and nagging mothers-in-law can make one question their supply unnecessarily.
MammaKoi
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Lol, no she was just not getting enough out for her daughter for a bit but I sent her the mothers milk tea and it helped her over all and now she has no problem at all with supply issues. Thank you for the other items listed. I'm looking to stock up before my son get's here in aug so i don't worry about my supply also.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
You shouldn't need any supply boosters. As long as your nursing on demand baby will be fine.
Most supply boosters only work when theres a low supply which most moms don't truly have.
Educate yourself on signs of normal healthy growth and development and normal newborn behavior.
And signs of a normal.healthy supply. That info is much more valuable and helpful then a closet full of supply boosters.

Quoting MammaKoi:

Lol, no she was just not getting enough out for her daughter for a bit but I sent her the mothers milk tea and it helped her over all and now she has no problem at all with supply issues. Thank you for the other items listed. I'm looking to stock up before my son get's here in aug so i don't worry about my supply also.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I completely agree!

Quoting melindabelcher:

You shouldn't need any supply boosters. As long as your nursing on demand baby will be fine.

Most supply boosters only work when theres a low supply which most moms don't truly have.

Educate yourself on signs of normal healthy growth and development and normal newborn behavior.

And signs of a normal.healthy supply. That info is much more valuable and helpful then a closet full of supply boosters.

Quoting MammaKoi:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaKoi
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I nursed on demand with my second son and when he got sick (upper respritory infection) my supply went down, I pumped to help keep it where it needed to be but I lost it overall after only breastfeeding for 20days. I felt like a failier. 

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting MammaKoi:

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM
((hugs)) your not a failure!!! Baby got one drop your a success!!!
Biggest thing is learning from the past and moving forward :) During illness supply will go down. pumping to maintain some supply and nursing/offering as much as possible is key. No bottles. As baby begins to feel better baby nurses better/more and supply gradually increases. Your supply is always adjusting to meet babies needs. Baby directly nursing is the best supply booster, they will forever get more then the pump in less time. Moms who haven't nursed in 6 months still are producing.
How often were you pumping and how much were you getting.

Quoting MammaKoi:I nursed on demand with my second son and when he got sick (upper respritory infection) my supply went down, I pumped to help keep it where it needed to be but I lost it overall after only breastfeeding for 20days. I felt like a failier. Quoting melindabelcher:You shouldn't need any supply boosters. As long as your nursing on demand baby will be fine.

Quoting MammaKoi:Lol, no she was just not getting enough out for her daughter for a bit but I sent her the mothers milk tea and it helped her over all and now she has no problem at all with supply issues. Thank you for the other items listed. I'm looking to stock up before my son get's here in aug so i don't worry about my supply also.

MammaKoi
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Gosh I know it was every 2hrs but it wasn't alot but that was over 5yrs ago so I'm back to learning everything again. 

Quoting melindabelcher:

((hugs)) your not a failure!!! Baby got one drop your a success!!!
Biggest thing is learning from the past and moving forward :) During illness supply will go down. pumping to maintain some supply and nursing/offering as much as possible is key. No bottles. As baby begins to feel better baby nurses better/more and supply gradually increases. Your supply is always adjusting to meet babies needs. Baby directly nursing is the best supply booster, they will forever get more then the pump in less time. Moms who haven't nursed in 6 months still are producing.
How often were you pumping and how much were you getting.

Quoting MammaKoi:I nursed on demand with my second son and when he got sick (upper respritory infection) my supply went down, I pumped to help keep it where it needed to be but I lost it overall after only breastfeeding for 20days. I felt like a failier. Quoting melindabelcher:You shouldn't need any supply boosters. As long as your nursing on demand baby will be fine.

Quoting MammaKoi:Lol, no she was just not getting enough out for her daughter for a bit but I sent her the mothers milk tea and it helped her over all and now she has no problem at all with supply issues. Thank you for the other items listed. I'm looking to stock up before my son get's here in aug so i don't worry about my supply also.

Platinum_blonde
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM

A friend's birthing class teacher advised the class to drink one beer and it would "expand" her milk. She tried it, lo and behold it worked, but she didn't feed that breastmilk to her daughter because she felt guilty.  All other lactation consultants have told her to "no, never do that!"

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Quoting MammaKoi:

Normal pump output is 0.5-2 oz both sides combined. Anymore than that and you were overachieving!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)