Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

nursing/pumping while traveling

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi! i was hoping to get advice about nursing and pumping while we are traveling in a car for 4 days. i plan on feeding every time we stop and i have 2 older children that will have to go to the bathroom often enough that it shouldn't be a problem. i don't really care if i nurse in front of strangers but i also don't want to offend anyone either. i had planned on pumping while we are driving. when i pump i get anywhere from 1/2 oz to 2 ozs. is there any way to keep things sanitary so i can give her what i pump? i have never used formula and i plan on buying some just in case so if anyone can give me suggestions on brand/type that would help. my daughter is 8 months old and has no allergies or problems with food so far. also does anyone have tips on how to entertain her while shes stuck in a car seat?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I've traveled MANY times for various lengths with varying age of baby. I've never had a need to pump or formula feed.
We aim to stop every 2-3hrs for nursing/bathroom/stretching etc. but remained flexible that if kiddos were sleeping we could go longer or fussy we stopped sooner.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM

This, exactly.  The older ones can probably try to entertain her.  I'm not sure what pumping or formula would accomplish--you can't give a bottle in the carseat because it's dangerous.  Just nurse her when you stop.  Our routine was I nursed while dh took the older one potty and got a snack and drink then he changed the baby while I went potty and got a snack and drink.  If we were stopping for lunch or dinner, I just nursed at the table in the restaurant while I ate, just like I always did when we went out to dinner at home.  You are legally protected in all 50 states.

Quoting melindabelcher:

I've traveled MANY times for various lengths with varying age of baby. I've never had a need to pump or formula feed.
We aim to stop every 2-3hrs for nursing/bathroom/stretching etc. but remained flexible that if kiddos were sleeping we could go longer or fussy we stopped sooner.

snobalz
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I regularly pump in between feedings at home so my husband and kids can feed her and so I can use it with her cereal. I'm more worried about my supply getting messed up. We are visiting family so it will be a lot of running around and feeding and pumping will be hard enough then. I was hoping to still be able to continue pumping while we were gone so other family members can have the chance to feed her too.
asaffell
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Pumping on a road trip sounds like complicating it way more than you need to. You would need to be stopping to clean the pump parts anyway...I'd skip it unless you were at someone's house for a while, but even then, I'd probably just nurse to keep things as easy as possible.

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Sorry, all that pumping for other people to feed her just sounds like way too much trouble.  You'd be pumping all the time: pumping for someone else to feed and then pumping again for that missed feeding at the breast.

Anyway to put her in a sling or carrier and just nurse on the go?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM
The best way to ensure your supply is to nurse on demand. Other family members can enjoy bathing, singing, dancing or rocking her without the added work of you pumping.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're giving solids, let other family members feed her solids.  That's the fun thing to feed anyway. :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Yes, exactly this.

I'm afraid there really is not a way to keep things that sanitary in the car. You can pump with a manual pump in the car as often as you'd like. You can keep a cooler at your feet and put the pumped bottles into it. It will be as sanitary as you can make the surfaces in your car. (Generally, not very.)

Me, I wouldn't bother. I'd simply nurse wherever I am. 

And consider: You will offend someone somehow anyway no matter what you do. There will be people offended by the number of children you have, thinking it's too many or too few. Do you let that bother you? Give "offense" over breastfeeding the same consideration. NONE. And it applies to all parties.

Quoting K8wizzo:

If you're giving solids, let other family members feed her solids.  That's the fun thing to feed anyway. :)

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Your supply will not suffer from not pumping for a while. Your supply would only suffer if you stopped nursing and pumping. She doesn't need the cereal, and at eight months she can eat what everyone else is eating. I would wear a wrap to make it easier to nurse during breaks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM
I agree with everyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN