Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

am I having a supply issue?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

I know it seems like a silly question but I honestly don't know.

DS is almost 6 months and I never feel that "full" feeling anymore. I never leak anymore (though that was never a real issue for me) and my little guy only nurses for like 10 minutes every 2.5-3 hours. And when I pump I now get next to nothing. . .maybe a half oz in 20 minutes, both sides (but I know pump output has nothing to do with actually supply)

He seems content enough and is show interest in food (normal for his age) but he is still nursing for all meals and, though we've tried some "play food", he isn't eating yet.

Diaper count is less than it was before-- only 4 or 5 wets/day and he poos every day or every other day

And I started spotting this week so I think AF may be making a comeback.

Any ideas??

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommyO2-6631
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
All sounds normal. Diaper output looks wonderful. That is the ONLY way to determine supply problems.
polkaspots
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Lot of women experience a little dip when they get their period back. It isn't a problem though, he might want to nurse a bit more for a few days, but that's really it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Some people never feel full or leak. You don't want full engorged breast, that slows production. Normal output is .5-2oz combined from both breast. Diaper count is great. I see nothing to worry about. 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Perfectly normal--at this age, they become quite efficient at nursing, and pump response begins to lessen, especially if you're not pumping regularly for work or school. A act breast is a working breast. An engorged breast is getting a message to make less. Always nurse before solids, even if he's not getting much solid in himself just yet. Kellymom.com has some information on baby-led solids that should help. If you think you want to ramp up your supply a bit, forego the solids for a day or two and just nurse as frequently as he will.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

All of that is fine.  Babies need the same amount of milk in a day at 12 months of age as they did at 4 weeks of age--they just get more efficient at getting it out.  No worries.

arigdon4
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Awesome!! Thank you ladies so much!!!

and we're not doing solids just yet. he get's to "try" something once or twice a week but I don't think much if anything at all actually makes it in his mouth yet lol

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep everything sounds perfect!
Diaper count is above minimum for the age.
Keep up the good work :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)