Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How is this even possible?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 18 Replies
Z is 10 weeks old. Today she has been very gassy and extremely fussy because of it. For the last 3 days we've completely ditched the bottle and been nursing directly at the breast. Today she was doing fine nursing at the breast until now. She has been screaming her head off for about an hour now. Nothing soothes her and she's refusing the breast. I ended up giving her 2 oz of pumped milk I had in the fridge in a bottle and she took it, then of course ended up freaking out when it was done. I offered the breast and she just flat out refuses to even suck once. She won't touch it. I'm in tears! I don't know why this is happening. She's been taking the breast all these days fine even on the days that she's had a bottle or two. Now all of the sudden she wants nothing to do with it.

Anyone know what this is about?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM
It sounds like she prefers the bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Bottle preference can pop up out of nowhere. :( I'd dump the bottles when you're with her and spend as much time as you can in bed with skin to skin to get back to nursing well.

McM0609
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM
This

Quoting asaffell:

Bottle preference can pop up out of nowhere. :( I'd dump the bottles when you're with her and spend as much time as you can in bed with skin to skin to get back to nursing well.

maliya0608
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
That's exactly what we started doing 3 days ago and now this popped up out of the blue. The only reason she's getting a bottle at all is because of her weak suck. I ended up having to pump and I'll try to nurse her again when she's ready to eat next time.

Quoting asaffell:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

YEP sounds like bottle preference...could be that your flow is faster or slower than the bottle..do you have a fast letdown?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Can you get a supplemental nursing system to use with your pumped milk? Does she have a lip or tongue tie?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM
how were her diapers looking on the days she did not have a bottle at all?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

It's also not too early for teeth to make their miserable presence known. Is she drooling? Gnawing on her hands?

Mainegirl211
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM
It may be too fast that's what happened with my son. Try to express some or pump a bit and see if that helps and nurse on one side a few times and then switch that's what the lactation consultant said to do here. Best of luck.
maliya0608
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I have OAL. I was doing block feeding but because of her weak suck I've had to start pumping after each feeding which has only made my OAL worse.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

YEP sounds like bottle preference...could be that your flow is faster or slower than the bottle..do you have a fast letdown?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN