Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How is this even possible?

Posted by   + Show Post
Z is 10 weeks old. Today she has been very gassy and extremely fussy because of it. For the last 3 days we've completely ditched the bottle and been nursing directly at the breast. Today she was doing fine nursing at the breast until now. She has been screaming her head off for about an hour now. Nothing soothes her and she's refusing the breast. I ended up giving her 2 oz of pumped milk I had in the fridge in a bottle and she took it, then of course ended up freaking out when it was done. I offered the breast and she just flat out refuses to even suck once. She won't touch it. I'm in tears! I don't know why this is happening. She's been taking the breast all these days fine even on the days that she's had a bottle or two. Now all of the sudden she wants nothing to do with it.

Anyone know what this is about?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Replies (11-18):
maliya0608
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM
No lip or tongue tie. I do have a sns that I stopped using because it was making her choke and becoming messy but I may have to start using it in place of the bottle again.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Can you get a supplemental nursing system to use with your pumped milk? Does she have a lip or tongue tie?
maliya0608
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM
The same. No real change other than the fact that she hasn't pooped today.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

how were her diapers looking on the days she did not have a bottle at all?
maliya0608
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM
She drools non stop almost and during the last 2-3 weeks she's been gnawing on her hands but I figured that's typical baby behavior. My oldest didn't cut teeth till 10 months and my middle child cut teeth at 5 months.

Quoting gdiamante:

It's also not too early for teeth to make their miserable presence known. Is she drooling? Gnawing on her hands?

maliya0608
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I was able to get her back on the breast since then for 2 nursing sessions. I wonder if the gas itself was making her upset?
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
My babies acted like that. Like they knew nursing helped move the gas, but at the same time it hurt. Kind of like when you have a really bad stomach ache and even though youre hungry, you just feel bloated and full. My babies had miserable pre teething off and on for a good 4 months before we saw teeth.

Quoting maliya0608:

I was able to get her back on the breast since then for 2 nursing sessions. I wonder if the gas itself was making her upset?
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

She developed a preference for the fast flow of the bottle.  :(  Don't give any more bottles.  She WILL eventually eat at the breast.

maliya0608
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM
This was the first time she ever did that and it was just so weird! She screamed and screamed and screamed and just refused the breast. I gave her the bottle she took it fine. Since then she's back to nursing fine again as normal. I'm just glad she's back on the breast.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My babies acted like that. Like thy knew nursing helped move the gas, but at the same time it hurt. Kind of like when you have a really bad stomach ache and even though youre hungry, you just feel bloted and full. My babies had miserable pre teething off and on for a good 4 months before we saw teeth.

Quoting maliya0608:

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting asaffell: Bottle preference can pop up out of nowhere. :( I'd dump the bottles when you're with her and spend as much time as you can in bed with skin to skin to get back to nursing well.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN