Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

baby is 7 days old and still losing weight

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
  • 15 Replies
Sophia was 8.1 when born. Left the hospital at 7.6. Weight check 2 days later 7.8 and then today was only 7.5
Dr said it is concerning. I have been pumping and bottle feeding because she screams when I try to get her to latch. She eats about 2 to 3 oz at a feeding every 2 to 3 hours. She does only wake once at night to feed though. What am I doing wrong? Dr wants her ofd the bottle andon the bbreast which I want too. But since she is losing weight it doesnt aound like now is a time ro not measure her intake. Also I cant sit in bed and feed for 24 hours as I have 3 other children
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I personally wake my babies every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night until they are back at birth weight or above.
I agree with your dr. Stop the bottles now and save yourself some headache. Put her on breast until she pops off and offer side B until she pops off and repeat. Pretty much expect for the first 3ish weeks or so to keep baby in the breast.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Kellymom.com has an excellent article on getting baby back to breast. Your only job right now is the care and feeding of children. Disposable dishes/utensils will be the norm for a few days. How old is your eldest? What about Dad? You will have to spend the bulk of your time with your youngest at the breast. Watch the diaper count-you want at least six per day, with a couple of quarter sized poops. Watch for early nursing cues--waving head around, rooting. One of the other moms may post the chart that shows all of them . Get in touch with an LC, an IBCLC if you can, about a supplemental nursing system. Has baby been checked for a lip or tongue tie?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Loss is normal the first week or so. Some breastfed babies take up to a month to regain birth weight. Do you have a sling or wrap you can put her in?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Until she gains back to birth weight you need to wake her to nurse. And bottle feeding does not tell you her intake.... she spits up doesn't she? Does some dribble down her chin when she's eating? Her diapers tell you her intake.... which can perfectly be measured while nursing.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Weights on the same scale?

Really, 3 oz is the difference between just having peed and not peeing, or just having ate, etc.... You can weigh baby all day long and get a range of 4-5 oz depending on those factors.

I agree with doc to get baby at the breast. The bottles.are just shooting you in the foot right now. You're supposed to be laying around with baby all day, *you just gave birth*!!!

Is it just nipple preference, or is there something going on preventing her from latching?
asaffell
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Honestly, the first 3 weeks after birth SHOULD be spent with you lounging in bed or on the couch with baby getting as much skin to skin contact as possible. Get snacks and lunches ready for the bigger ones, turn on movies, keep a good supply of coloring books.

I think that there isn't really anything wrong, but the pumping and bottlefeeding already is setting you up for major breastfeeding issues down the road. Focusing on fixing her latch, feeding her at the breast at LEAST every 2 hours, and counting diapers.

katherinemcp
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Also, was the delivery a csecection or with an epidural? Both will fill baby with fluids an exaggerate weight loss due to the fluid loss.

Any issues with latch or poor suck reflex??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tgentosi
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM
She has usually around 5 dirty diapers or more and more wets on top of that. Is my milk bad then? I dont understand why she is losing.
tgentosi
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I did have a c section.
tgentosi
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Dr said suck is coordinated but she is "lazy". He is VERY pro breastfeeding. As he said his wife bf all 5 of their kids. I know some drs push formula but he never has.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN