Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

baby is 7 days old and still losing weight

Posted by   + Show Post
Sophia was 8.1 when born. Left the hospital at 7.6. Weight check 2 days later 7.8 and then today was only 7.5
Dr said it is concerning. I have been pumping and bottle feeding because she screams when I try to get her to latch. She eats about 2 to 3 oz at a feeding every 2 to 3 hours. She does only wake once at night to feed though. What am I doing wrong? Dr wants her ofd the bottle andon the bbreast which I want too. But since she is losing weight it doesnt aound like now is a time ro not measure her intake. Also I cant sit in bed and feed for 24 hours as I have 3 other children
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Replies (11-15):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Have you been seen by a LC? has she been checked for a tongue tie? has she always refused the breast?

tgentosi
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM
She nursed for the 1 St 3 days. Then got frustrated and the nurse talked me into giving her a bottle of breast milk.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

At seven days she's SUPPOSED to still be losing. Indeed,s he gets to lose a whole 'nother ounce to make the expected loss. Doc is mistaken. And the nurse sabotaged you big time.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Your milk is not bad. Babies are born with lots of excess water weight. They're supposed to just lose in week one. 10 percent of birth weight if a vaginal birth. 12% if a c-section. Loss is normal. Baby is normal. The only problem you have here is refusal of the breast. And please ditch your clocks. Feeding on any kind of schedule can make it more difficult to get her to accept the breast. You wan ther to not really be super-hungry. Just willing to take something if offered. If baby is crying to be fed, you've waited a little too long. Look for the first hunger cues of rooting and sucking on hands.

Get in the tub with baby. A nice warm bath relaxes. Get skin to skin with her and when she's relaxed, offer the breast. Also google "rebirthing" for more on this.

Quoting tgentosi:

She has usually around 5 dirty diapers or more and more wets on top of that. Is my milk bad then? I dont understand why she is losing.

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Her loss is totally normal. Get in bed and stay skin to skin. This will encourage frequent latching. She's already discovered the bottle is so much easier than the breast and is being stubborn. Newborns are smart and lazy:)  Mama's have to be mean and more stubborn sometimes. Count diapers. What she's putting out is an indication that she definitely isn't starving, just shedding the excess fluid still.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN