Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ugh!! So upset with my supposedly pro-bfing sil!

Posted by   + Show Post
I am so beyond upset!! Seb has a soy and cows milk protein sensitivity. I am always super careful about reading labels and avoiding both and he does well. I slipped up a couple weeks ago and had ramen noodles (duh...soy noodles and dried milk in the seasonings) and he was a mess for about a day. Well, yesterday I made lasagna for dh for fathers day and in a scramble to find substitutes for my lasagna I grabbed some tofu. Color me dumb but I didn't even think to check the ingredients in tofu. I had NO idea it was made out of freakin soy! Anyhow, I spent most of last night up with my poor, hurting baby and vented about my stupidity on Fb. I was practically attacked by my sister in law...she went on about how she doesn't understand why I haven't brought him to a GI doc and that if it was her kid she would do everything she could to "fix" him. Then she says i'm making him AND me suffer bc of "google research". I am not suffering! I do just fine with my (very) limited diet. If itll help ny meatball I'd eat nothing but grass! She went on to say that he is suffering BC I won't "just switch him to formula or get him on meds for his gerd." He doesn't HAVE gerd! As long as I am careful about what I'm eating, he's fine! And who is she to insinuate that I am not doing my best to help my baby?!? Guh!! And to top it off, she got 8 likes to her comment!! Is this really how my "friends" feel? Like I'm not trying my best to help him?? I just want to curl up and cry (and I did-with my baby for half the night). :'(

There really is no reason for my rant...just wanted to get that off my chest. :(
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm imagining what your tofu lasagna would look like, dripping from your SIL's face...  :)

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I would have bitched RIGHT BACK at her and put her in her place.  Told her all those things that you just told us.  That it's allergy related, NOT GERD.  And then, I would seriously question myself about remaining friends with those 8 people who "liked" her ignorance. 

SadeAyosmom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM

wow delete that bitch.

now. yesterday always.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM
I did correct her and said I have spoken to his Dr and he agreed that if my diet helped to stick to it. He compared it to adults with heartburn- it's easier to just eliminate the trigger foods than to stay medicated. Her last response was "well OK, good luck with that..."

Quoting jackiewal10:

I would have bitched RIGHT BACK at her and put her in her place.  Told her all those things that you just told us.  That it's allergy related, NOT GERD.  And then, I would seriously question myself about remaining friends with those 8 people who "liked" her ignorance. 

twogirl91
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I haven't been able to eat diary or wheat since I was 11 years old. My kids have the same issue. Even after 10 years I still slip up! I bought some gluten free chicken nuggets and accidentally grabbed a regular bag too and when I got home ended up eating out of the regular bag and it wasn't until after I was in severe pain that I figured out what it was.  It's hard enough starting out, a lot easier to slip up, but it can still happen after doing it 10+ years, you are doing what's best for your baby. Don't let anyone make you feel bad. You are doing a good job mama! (Honestly you probably know better than most doctors.)

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Does she realize formula is made from Soy or Dairy? Or you can spend $60 a can on specialized formula x 2 cans at least a week x 12 months? That makes more sense to her. So if she had a food allergy she would still eat the food? She doesnt make any sense. This is EXACTLY why I HATE facebook. I deleted it a looong time ago and will not go back to it. I would just respond back IGNORANCE! and delete her.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

I did correct her and said I have spoken to his Dr and he agreed that if my diet helped to stick to it. He compared it to adults with heartburn- it's easier to just eliminate the trigger foods than to stay medicated. Her last response was "well OK, good luck with that..."

Quoting jackiewal10:

funhappymom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I'm sorry mama. That is so sad :(

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Time to unfriend her and everyone who liked her comment on Facebook and in real life. They are not your friends. But with these sensitivities you need to read the labels very, very carefully. Do not buy anything until you read the label. No soy or dairy products allowed in your cabinets. Then it will be easier to avoid these instances.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM
That's usually where I run into a problem. My 6. year old and my hubby still consume soy and dairy. There is no way in h*ll I'd get them to eat like me. LOL So I'm usually trying to find things that I can make a little different for me and make yummy for them. In hindsight I should have just had my noodles and gravy and forgot trying to make a lasagna for me...it was gross with Tofu and fake cheese anyway. :P

I really need to sit and meal plan but I think I have ADD when it comes to that. Every time I start, I get side tracked and end up going to the store and just grabbing misc crap to throw together. I had a salad last night while dd and dh had leftover lasagna. :( It made me sad! LOL

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Time to unfriend her and everyone who liked her comment on Facebook and in real life. They are not your friends. But with these sensitivities you need to read the labels very, very carefully. Do not buy anything until you read the label. No soy or dairy products allowed in your cabinets. Then it will be easier to avoid these instances.
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Why are you justifying your family decisions to her? Just cut her out of the info train. She doesn't need to know what you are feeding your children. Period.

Seriously consider blocking her on Facebook or not mentioning food on there. Like someone else said, complain on here about BFing issues. Then you don't have to worry about people making comments that can hurt you because you never have to suffer through Thanksgiving with any of us! :)

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Quoting jackiewal10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN