Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how long can a baby go without milk

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 6 Replies

I will be gone 8+ hours 3 days a week, my dd is in day care. She is about to turn 1 year. When she is away from me she will not drink my expressed breast milk so I've stopped pumping. I tried giving her goats milk while I was away but she won't drink that.so when I'm away she will drink water plus whatever food she eats. But starting this week she will be away from me for like 8.5 hours. I'm worried that she will be missing nutrients. I'm not worried about water detoxification cause she doesn't drink thhaaat much water and like I said she will eat. Sorry some ppl act like a baby will die if given water. But I am a little worried. 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

At one year or close to it, not a problem. :)

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Yup.  DD only took about 4oz from the time she was one just cuz i had it available.  Some days she didn't finish it, which was fine.  This close to 1 as long as you offer unlimited at home she can have water and solids while you're at work.

SadieJames
by Sarah on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

You're fine.  I would send pumped milk, if you can pump, just in case.  If not i wouldn't sweat it.  If she slept that long you'd be happy right?

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM
My older son started daycare at 8 months, I worked 8 hours a day 4 days a week. He refused BM in every type of container we could think to offer. He just reverse cycled. No biggie :) he weaned at 28 months.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
That would be too long if she wasn't eating, but food and water will give her what she needs while you're separated. It's about how much in a twenty four hour period, it doesn't matter when she gets it as long as she's not suffering because of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

No worries for you. At a year, you can pretty much do as you please. Mine drank water at day care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)