Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Increasing milk

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 12 Replies
My daughter is only 3 weeks old I have been breast feeding from day one and also pumping. When pumping I was able to get upwards of 3oz from each breast. Now I can get almost 3oz from one breast and barley an ounce from the other. Anything I can do to get my supply back up?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Your supply is fine.  In fact you have an oversupply, which can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis (ouch!).  Why are you pumping? Nurse on demand mama.  

frog643
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I have unfortunately had to return to work this week. :( while at work my breasts gets sore since I'm not able to feed on demand. I only pump while at work.
SadieJames
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Make sure you hit quote when getting back to a specific post so we see it : ) 

Okay, working and bfing? No big deal.

pump every 2-3 hours for 15-20 minutes.  No washing the parts etc to save time, just stick the whole thing (minus the motor) in the fridge.  Baby gets 1-1.25 oz per hour of separation in portions no larger than 3 oz.  that's a forever number.  It never increases. Breastfed babies getting a bottle need it different than a formula fed baby.  Bottle should be parallel to the floor and baby needs burped after every ounce.  In their minds bottle = famine and breast = feast.

what are you doing now?

Quoting frog643:

I have unfortunately had to return to work this week. :( while at work my breasts gets sore since I'm not able to feed on demand. I only pump while at work.

frog643
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM
When I'm home I feed on demand. While at work I try to pump every 2-3 hours but sometimes it gets busy so it goes alittle longer. When I bottle feed she gets 3oz. And sometimes it seems like she is still hungry. I haven't tried the burping every ounce yet didn't know that's what you were supposed to do.

Quoting SadieJames:

pump every 2-3 hours for 15-20 minutes.  No washing the parts etc to save time, just stick the whole thing (minus the motor) in the fridge.  Baby gets 1-1.25 oz per hour of separation in portions no larger than 3 oz.  that's a forever number.  It never increases. Breastfed babies getting a bottle need it different than a formula fed baby.  Bottle should be parallel to the floor and baby needs burped after every ounce.  In their minds bottle = famine and breast = feast.

what are you doing now?

Quoting frog643:

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Your pump output is actually amazing! Three ounces per side was over-achieving and not expected to last. You're starting to come closer to the level of mere mortals. **grin** Follow the info already provided; it will help preserve supply.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Are you giving bottles?
How long are you gone and how many oz does she get total in that time.
burping after every oz is important to slow her down and stretch out the feeding length so that she recognizes the satisfied feeling.
frog643
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM
I'm gone about 8 hours. She gets a 3 oz bottle every 2-3 hours. Sometimes if she is in a good sleep she will go alittle bit longer.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Are you giving bottles?

How long are you gone and how many oz does she get total in that time.

burping after every oz is important to slow her down and stretch out the feeding length so that she recognizes the satisfied feeling.

SadieJames
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Good.  Try to go no longer than 3 hours.  I know it's hard but you really need to make time.  Still hungry is fine - she probably needs to comfort suck and that's normal.  Caregiver has to find something else.  More milk is simply not an option. 

Read the kellymom.com article about bottlefeeding a bf baby.  It's great! 

Quoting frog643:

When I'm home I feed on demand. While at work I try to pump every 2-3 hours but sometimes it gets busy so it goes alittle longer. When I bottle feed she gets 3oz. And sometimes it seems like she is still hungry. I haven't tried the burping every ounce yet didn't know that's what you were supposed to do.

Quoting SadieJames:

what are you doing now?

Quoting frog643:

SadieJames
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Just to add: no more than 1-1.25 oz.  no more 3 oz bottles at 2 hours.

if you still can't keep up you will need to add a pumping session every morning.  7 days a week.  First thing in the morning.  That session will make up any differences.

really mama it's about limiting milk intake while gone.  Bf babies drink between 24 and 32 oz a day.  If she's getting a lot while you're apart she won't drink it while you're together.

frog643
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Ok I will look into it for sure. My son was entirely bottle fed so BF is new to me.

Quoting SadieJames:

Good.  Try to go no longer than 3 hours.  I know it's hard but you really need to make time.  Still hungry is fine - she probably needs to comfort suck and that's normal.  Caregiver has to find something else.  More milk is simply not an option. 

Read the kellymom.com article about bottlefeeding a bf baby.  It's great! 

Quoting frog643:

Quoting SadieJames:

what are you doing now?

Quoting frog643:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)