Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT But I trust your opinions

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

My baby monitor is on the fritz.  It was a hand-me-down from my great aunt that she used for her grandsons.  

I don't feel comfortable not having one, dd still wakes up crying most nights, and I'm a sound sleeper so I crank the volume and leave it next to my bed, plus I like having it for naptimes and such.  (She is 18 months old).

Is it stupid to get another monitor this late in the game?  If so any recommendations?  The "static" noise really creeps me out and literally gives me nightmares (ie movie "Signs").  So something tht is CLEAR and not static is needed!! I'm sick of getting freaked out in the middle of the night!!

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I'd definetly replace it!
We only used the angel care one so no recs on a specific brand here.
polkaspots
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Shut it off for a few nights and see what happens. I don't use one, but my little one sleeps in my room with me, and the older one is loud enough for me to hear her, or she just comes and finds me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Yeah, the overnight isn't quite as concerning (if she's really bellering I'm sure I'll hear her) but like right now I'm in the basement on the treadmill and she's on the 2nd floor sleeping, I would hate to make her cry for a half hour cuz I didn't hear her. 

Quoting polkaspots:

Shut it off for a few nights and see what happens. I don't use one, but my little one sleeps in my room with me, and the older one is loud enough for me to hear her, or she just comes and finds me.

SadieJames
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

What about finding a used one since you *hopefully* won't need it for long?

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I will probably start searching rummage sales and stuff, still looking for good brand recommendations though, since the other used one we have (rummage sale) has the same statick problem (at my inlaws house).  But these are all probably at least 10 years old. 

Oh, and I should add a second isn't entirely out of the question yet.  We are revisiting the topic next year. 

Quoting SadieJames:

What about finding a used one since you *hopefully* won't need it for long?

polkaspots
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Fisher price makes a few cheap (<$20) ones you can use. Then if you decide to have another, you could easily upgrade.

Quoting audmom1218:

Yeah, the overnight isn't quite as concerning (if she's really bellering I'm sure I'll hear her) but like right now I'm in the basement on the treadmill and she's on the 2nd floor sleeping, I would hate to make her cry for a half hour cuz I didn't hear her. 

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I laughed when I read your "Signs" reference. When we were looking to build our house the one development backed up to a corn field and because of that movie we wouldn't even consider it. The monitor static scares the crap out of me, too.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I know! The housing development we live in the houses across the street from us are up against the corn field and I flat out told the landlord I wanted one on the other side of the street!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I laughed when I read your "Signs" reference. When we were looking to build our house the one development backed up to a corn field and because of that movie we wouldn't even consider it. The monitor static scares the crap out of me, too.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Cornfields are bad. Snakes. Mice. Aliens.

Quoting audmom1218:

I know! The housing development we live in the houses across the street from us are up against the corn field and I flat out told the landlord I wanted one on the other side of the street!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

We had the fisher price one before we got the angel care and it worked really well.  As far as "late in the game"... we used it in Andy's room well into his toddlerhood because I wanted to hear if he was getting into mischief in there. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)