Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Really sick of Dr's (Vitamin D)

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 20 Replies

So you give birth to a baby that is born with no problems, but had to fight to not be induces. Than she gains almost a pound in less than two weeks time and grows an inch. What does the Dr tell me? She needs extra vitamins.
Please. Breastmilk is enough.

in love

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

BUMP!

ColieO
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Actually, many, many people do not get enough vitamin D.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twogirl91
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

It's the new thing doctor's are pushing, if you take your child outside then you should be fine and shouldn't need them. I take Vitamin D daily because I have fair skin and HATE out doors, my levels were really low. When I started taking it, I got more energy and my immune system seems stronger. I've never given my kids the drops, my husband usually takes them outside though to play so they are probably getting plenty of sun.  

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
This is sort of where I am. For a good 7 months our weather is gloomy and overcast and then come summer it's so hot that I prefer to be indoors in the AC. the only sun I see is stepping out to get the mail and getting in and out of my car. A few years ago I was suffering from horrible joint and bone pain and taking Viramin D has been like a miracle.

Dr Jenny Thomas is a prolific pediatrician in WI and an IBCLC and she is a serious advocate for D supplimentation. All that said, I personally wouldn't give any vitamin suppliments in the first 6 months and have been very spotty giving my kids chewable D after they're a year. But if you're getting sun exposure and then storing that natural Vitamin D, then suppliments are pointless. I wish I lived in a sunnier, more temperate climate.

Quoting twogirl91:

It's the new thing doctor's are pushing, if you take your child outside then you should be fine and shouldn't need them. I take Vitamin D daily because I have fair skin and HATE out doors, my levels were really low. When I started taking it, I got more energy and my immune system seems stronger. I've never given my kids the drops, my husband usually takes them outside though to play so they are probably getting plenty of sun.  

musik16
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Ladies I live in the High Desert (southern cali) and I leave the curtains open for her to get sun while she is sleeping. Let alone us going outside to water the garden and pet the dog... yeah I know she is good.

I still take my prenatal vitamin and it has Vitamin D (it is Vitamin Code).

milkmama36
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I barely stopped myself from cussing old pediatrician out for giving me a vitamin D handout. Why would you undermine a breast feeding mom like that? Breast is best and all but you should give baby vitamin supplements. uuuuhhhh

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM

yeah sunlight will give her plenty of vit d

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I don't feel like it's undermining a nursing mother at all.  

There are Vit D supplements that don't ruin the virgin gut.  Many people (including bf'ing women) are deficient in D and don't know it.  

When my pedi suggested it, I came on here, asked some questions, did my own research and came to the conclusion that she is getting enough.  

Quoting milkmama36:

I barely stopped myself from cussing old pediatrician out for giving me a vitamin D handout. Why would you undermine a breast feeding mom like that? Breast is best and all but you should give baby vitamin supplements. uuuuhhhh

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM
There is not enough vitamin d in breast milk. Either you need to take baby outside for 15-20 minutes a day in the sunlight, not when it's cloudy or give vitamin d. But the enfamil stuff is pretty much junk (duh it's made by a formula company).There are kinds that only take a drop on your nipple before nursing once a day. We don't do supplements but I live in Tennessee and we see plenty of sunlight.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Unortunately, windows block the specific part of sunlight that is required by our bodies to make vitamin D.  You need to take her outside, uncovered, for a few minutes a day or you need to consider giving her either Carlson's or Just D drops.

Quoting musik16:

Ladies I live in the High Desert (southern cali) and I leave the curtains open for her to get sun while she is sleeping. Let alone us going outside to water the garden and pet the dog... yeah I know she is good.

I still take my prenatal vitamin and it has Vitamin D (it is Vitamin Code).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)