Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

OT: Uneasy Feeling

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son (15 months) goes for a check up tomorrow.  He's supposed to get 3 shots.  MMR and 2 others I can't remember.

For a whie now, I've had this wierd uneasy feeling that I can't shake about the shots.

I'm not sure how to explain it to the pedi.  I can't even explain it to myself.  

Anyone else ever feel this way?

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jeniprice
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Follow your gut. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it! Mothers instinct is there for a reason. My 18 month old is on a very delayed vaccination schedule. He won't be getting the MMR until he's 2 or 2 1/2. My other son is 7 weeks old. They want to give him 4 injections and an oral vaccination at his 2 month checkup. He won't get them all. He'll get the oral one and 1 or 2 injections.
Do what feels right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I can honestly say I haven't. But I know there are plenty of non vaxing mamas in here who can share in your feelings. I have just seen way too much illness from not vaxing to even think about not doing it for my kids. Have a long talk with your ped beforehand and see if he/she can offer any reassurance or advice.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Yes. We are going for our appointment on Monday (12 month). I've decided after some research that I'm going to tell her we will be doing one shot at time. I'll bring him in every month. That way he will still be "up to date" according to the cdc (and hopefully she won't kick us out) but his little body won't be so overwhelmed. And I also want to talk to her about Hep A and varicella. Hep A is an STD (he's not having sex yet lol). And I'm uneasy about the chicken pox vax. I know chicken pox can cause an adult male to become sterile so I'm worried about what if he has a child later that gets chicken pox. Will the vaccine still be affective? Most vaccines lose a lot of their affectiveness within the first ten years which is why they suggest "boosters". Idk I'm still confused and nervous about it all after months of research (he hasn't had any vaccines since his six month).
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Hep B is the one associated with STDs, although that is not the only way it can be transmitted. Hep A is transmitted through contaminated food or water or from another person with Hep A. It's not associated with STDs.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Yes. We are going for our appointment on Monday (12 month). I've decided after some research that I'm going to tell her we will be doing one shot at time. I'll bring him in every month. That way he will still be "up to date" according to the cdc (and hopefully she won't kick us out) but his little body won't be so overwhelmed. And I also want to talk to her about Hep A and varicella. Hep A is an STD (he's not having sex yet lol). And I'm uneasy about the chicken pox vax. I know chicken pox can cause an adult male to become sterile so I'm worried about what if he has a child later that gets chicken pox. Will the vaccine still be affective? Most vaccines lose a lot of their affectiveness within the first ten years which is why they suggest "boosters". Idk I'm still confused and nervous about it all after months of research (he hasn't had any vaccines since his six month).

Luv.My.Soldier
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I understand what you mean, which is precisely why my 7 mth old has not received a single immunization yet. I am still researching, but for now he won't be getting any until at least age 1, and even then it will be selective and spaced out. My other 2 are fully vaxed, but after reading up on it during my last pregnancy, it scared the crap out of me to inject that poison into my perfect baby boy. Especially since he is ebf and is hardly ever in close contact with strangers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I was just asking my husband the other day if the baby should get the varicella vaccine or not.  I don't even know why I asked, he had no opinion :/

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM
I did, turns out my girls are severely allergic to eggs. It's one of the ingredients in several vaxes. Who knows what would have happened!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama232011
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I was worried about pox vac too but I think I made a bad choice not getting it chicken pox is a lot worse than when we were kids she will be getting the vaccines at age 3

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

AudlyLuvly
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I think it's irresponsible of doctors to give so many shots at once to such small children. That being said, DS (6 months) is completely vax free (though he got a vit k shot a few hours after birth because he wouldn't stop spitting blood). We might vax (one at a time) when he gets older.
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM
We do not vac against chicken pox, and we delay vax! I do not feel comfortable until their little bodies are more developed. The chicken pox vax wears off about teen years. As a child it's mild, so IMO I'd rather them get it as kids than later in life. It's a pointless vaccine.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)