Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unsolicited block feeding..

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

Riordan is 4 months old, and he is getting to be a very distracted nurser.  I know this is normal for this age. However, it seems that during the daylight hours, when we have to nurse out of bed, he will only latch on the right side. I will try and try to get him to take the left, but he refuses.  He looks around, tries to sit up, cries, just doesn't want it. He only wants to eat from the left side when we are in bed at night.  So it ends up being 12 hours on one side and 12 on the other side.  I haven't noticed much change in his diaper output, but I just wanted to see if this is going to mess with my supply? It has only been happening for a few days so far... Would you suggest pumping a couple of times from the left during the day to keep my supply up in that breast? Does it really matter? I think it has to do with the stage of being so distracted, so I don't want my supply to drop off and then him grow out of the phase. 

TIA! 

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yaamini
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Hi!

Even I have faced these type of problem earlier but found out the solution finally.

Let me tell you when you feed once try to give from both the sides. If you feed him about 10mins, try to give him 5mins on left and 5mins on right side.

If your baby refuses to have it from one side, you need to wait for another 2hours then feed him. So, that he is hungry. When he is hungry you make to do so on the right side.

One more thing don't feed him in the lying position on the bed. Make yourself in sitting position and then try to feed him on the side he refuses.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM
It's ok honey! It won't mess with your supply, I can't hardly remember what boob I left off with, so it's just whichever is easier! You could feed him only off the right if you wanted :) you'd be a little lopsided but perfectly doable.
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
And nurse while lying down all you want!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
It really shouldn't hurt your supply, as long as nursing is still ocurring on demand.
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
And never limit his time :) sorry, last one!
kels1023
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter only eats on the right side so I have to pump the left to avoid clogged milk ducts. The breast she won't eat off of actually produces more milk than the one she does eat off of
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Please don't feed baby based on a clock--feed on demand, when baby is hungry on one side until he/she comes off on his/her own and then burp and offer the other side.

You can try different positions on the side he doesn't like but honestly there's no problem with having a day boob and a night boob. :)

Quoting yaamini:

Hi!

Even I have faced these type of problem earlier but found out the solution finally.

Let me tell you when you feed once try to give from both the sides. If you feed him about 10mins, try to give him 5mins on left and 5mins on right side.

If your baby refuses to have it from one side, you need to wait for another 2hours then feed him. So, that he is hungry. When he is hungry you make to do so on the right side.

One more thing don't feed him in the lying position on the bed. Make yourself in sitting position and then try to feed him on the side he refuses.

ninastone
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Don't worry, he is way to cute for me to limit his time. ;-) Lol.

Quoting BabyPink07:

And never limit his time :) sorry, last one!

ninastone
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Exaclty what I wanted to know. Thank you! I guess I just thought block feeding=regulated (lower) supply when dealing with OAL/OS so it may mean lower supply when doing it without those problems too.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

It really shouldn't hurt your supply, as long as nursing is still ocurring on demand.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I've been through that too, its fine. If you wait a while before trying to make him nurse on that side he's going to fight and scream. Mine also bit when I tried that. It's not a good idea. Mine is on one boob all night and has been that way since he started sleeping more during the night at two or three months old. He gets both during the day though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)