Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

kinnda freaked out... help?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
I can't find the number to the hospital and I don't have a car, so I'm resorting to the next most helpful people I know. You ladies.
Oookay, well I was told to watch out for grunting.... he is grunting. Like he is in pain in his sleep mostly and frequently, and goes right back to sleep, or eating, or wiggling like nothing happened... and he has been holding his breath until he gasps for air. He has nursed literally all day today and acted like he was in pain then too. I'm trying to not freak myself out because I really know diddly squat about babies. He has burped a few times but not really farted.... not a lot of spit up either. No fever. At least 4 wets and a little skid mark dirty. Is this just growing pains? He is 4 weeks aynd a couple day old now... nursing so much my breasts can't keep up and it really makes him mad.... another tired and quickly typed post, I'm sorry for that....
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Hmmm. If he's in pain, he'll almost certainly cry. He's not going to sleep through pain. I'm thinking gas? My babies would squirm and grunt, start to cry out, then fart and be sleeping by the time I unsnapped my bra again. I'm not sure what is alarming about "grunting". My babies all grunted when they ate and when they were trying to pass gas or poop. But I always think a mama should respect her instincts and if you are truly alarmed, call your dr.

When my first came home from the hospital, a few hours had passed and he hadn't peed. My dh and I started getting worried about his round belly and started thinking he couldn't pee because it was all just emptying into his gut, making him swell up. We started looking at pictures of babies in magazines and saw they ALL have that round belly. Crisis averted. I didn't know anything about babies either!
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Did he have respiratory issues?  Is the grunting like he is trying to poop or pass gas, or is it when he exhales only or inhales only?  If he did have respiratory issues are you noticing his stomach retracting under his ribcage when he breathes?  If no previous respiratory issues, the grunting is more like he is trying to push something out (ydd would "sing" as the nurses called it, sounded like a grunty exhale, she had breathing issues), and there is no retracting, no fever or other symptoms of illness, no worries :)  However, if he is retracting when breathing, or the grunting sounds more like it is part of his inhale or exhale, I would call the hospital on call pediatrician and see if they want him in tonight or tomorrow.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Lay him on his back and move his legs like he's riding a bicycle. At this age, their nervous systems are not fully coordinated, so they use their whole bodies to do everything. They are not used to the sensations of their bodily functions. Bicycling will help him pass gas. No doctor needed, just continue to nurse on demand.
siergomez
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Well, he goes into a quick cry fit every now and then, but passes right back out. Almost like he was having night terrors...but he does this awake too. Constantly. It doesn't really sound like his pooping or gassy grunts either... his doctor was less than unhelpful on the phone... but now I'm wondering if its heart burn. I try bouncing, rocking, burping, changing, feeding and bicycling.... nothing helps. So I just leave him on breast and he is. At least a bit more content. =/

Oh gosh, at the pediatricians the first ttime was when I really saw that belly. It kinda freaked me out too, I kept asking the pedi if he was Sure that was normal. He laughed at me a lot...

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Hmmm. If he's in pain, he'll almost certainly cry. He's not going to sleep through pain. I'm thinking gas? My babies would squirm and grunt, start to cry out, then fart and be sleeping by the time I unsnapped my bra again. I'm not sure what is alarming about "grunting". My babies all grunted when they ate and when they were trying to pass gas or poop. But I always think a mama should respect her instincts and if you are truly alarmed, call your dr.

When my first came home from the hospital, a few hours had passed and he hadn't peed. My dh and I started getting worried about his round belly and started thinking he couldn't pee because it was all just emptying into his gut, making him swell up. We started looking at pictures of babies in magazines and saw they ALL have that round belly. Crisis averted. I didn't know anything about babies either!

siergomez
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Not really, he was on oxygen for a day or two because he couldn't quite figure out the whole breathing thing, but he got it down. He just started holding his breath until he has to gasp for air though...
Tthe grunting is just constant. More similar to passing gas or pooping grunts, but they don't stop, awake or asleep, and sometimes he starts crying. He has had plenty (if not an abundance) of dirty diapers, and he is a pretty top notch gas passer. But his breathing isn't labored or going into the ribs at all.
I did talk to his doctor, he just said "its normal, could be a few things but nothing to worry about" and cut off there... I still want to know why he is doing that though =/

Quoting preacherskid:

Did he have respiratory issues?  Is the grunting like he is trying to poop or pass gas, or is it when he exhales only or inhales only?  If he did have respiratory issues are you noticing his stomach retracting under his ribcage when he breathes?  If no previous respiratory issues, the grunting is more like he is trying to push something out (ydd would "sing" as the nurses called it, sounded like a grunty exhale, she had breathing issues), and there is no retracting, no fever or other symptoms of illness, no worries :)  However, if he is retracting when breathing, or the grunting sounds more like it is part of his inhale or exhale, I would call the hospital on call pediatrician and see if they want him in tonight or tomorrow.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM
My biggest concern with what you said was that he is holding his breath.
siergomez
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM
I've been doing that... it doesn't seem to help, actually it just irritates him more. When he has been grunting for a while we do the bicycling, change, burp, lay on the tummmy for a minute over his boppy, bounce and then he goes back to breast... and when/if he ever finishes there and is awake enough we burp again. I can't bring myself to wake him up if he is out cold....

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Lay him on his back and move his legs like he's riding a bicycle. At this age, their nervous systems are not fully coordinated, so they use their whole bodies to do everything. They are not used to the sensations of their bodily functions. Bicycling will help him pass gas. No doctor needed, just continue to nurse on demand.

siergomez
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Yeah... he doesn't do it when he is up against me or being held, but when he is in his swing or bassinet I have to keep a close eye on him.

Quoting Precious333:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Is he un bed with you? Does his lips ever turn blue or anything when.he does it?

Quoting siergomez:

Yeah... he doesn't do it when he is up against me or being held, but when he is in his swing or bassinet I have to keep a close eye on him.

Quoting Precious333:

siergomez
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM
yes, we co sleep, mostly because it is the only way he will sleep, and I know he is safe. he hasn't been doing it there.... but He has been going the opposite direction in color and turning really red if I don't catch it qucikly, but by that time he usually let's go and gasps.

Quoting Precious333:

Is he un bed with you? Does his lips ever turn blue or anything when.he does it?

Quoting siergomez:

Quoting Precious333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN