Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sleep Regression-- ideas?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 32 Replies

DD2 has been sleeping through the night since she was 2 months old.  

She's 5 months now.  

The past week she's gone to sleep at her normal time (from 10-11pm) and then been up 2 hours later.  She's crying in her sleep but if she wakes up and sees us, she's in a great happy mood (a blessing). 

I'm pretty sure she's teething and we've got the amber necklace on her.  

Once she's up -- she won't sleep for any length of time unless she's held or nursing.  

Honestly, I don't mind this and know it's what she needs but I need to figure out how to get some sleep too.  DH is going out of town for all of next week and I've got a 10 yr old with activities that I have to get her too.  

Here's my issue:  I can't find a comfortable side nursing position.  Either her face is buried in my boob and she's having to readjust so she can breathe or I'm just super uncomfortable.  I'm happy to co-sleep and nurse the entire night -- BUT I can't sleep.  The position I have to be in for her to side nurse is not something I can do for long.

Thoughts on how to make side nursing better? Any idea what's up with her sleep pattern? Is it just teething? Is there a growth spurt I don't know about?  

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Could be teething or a growth spurt. You can try nursing her as much as you can during the day in hopes she'll nurse less at night. And for night nursing, I put a pillow behind my back so I can lean back on it and won't have to hold myself in an uncomfortable position.
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM

She's never been a big night nurser (other than when she was a newborn.) 

When she's up like she has been *I* instigate the nursing as a way to get her to go back to sleep.  

I do put the pillows behind me, but that doesn't help me get into a comfortable sleeping position.   :/ 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Could be teething or a growth spurt. You can try nursing her as much as you can during the day in hopes she'll nurse less at night. And for night nursing, I put a pillow behind my back so I can lean back on it and won't have to hold myself in an uncomfortable position.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

What's up with the sleep pattern is that you lucked out for a long time. Sleeping through the night is a temproary condition in year one; this is normal stuff.

I can't add anything to the position suggestions you've been given already.

I'm afraid I simply learned to do on much less sleep. And I was already a six hour a night gal, in spurts of three hours... went to spurts of 2 hours. Rule of thumb became, "If it's not needed to live it's not needed for now" and I simply stopped doing things that weren't strictly necessary, until the crisis passed. But I didn't have an older child, either.

Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Will she sleep if you simply hold her on your chest? It isn't ideal, but if you could get at least a few hours in this way, it would help.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Just get lots of pillows! We are going through the same thing. My 5 month old is only happy when he has the booby!

I have been sleeping on my back with him on top of me and propped with pillows.

We sometimes do side laying, but he always slips.

When side laying I put a pillow under him to bring him to me.

I hope that makes sense.

Also I would suggest getting a wrap or sling for when you're out and about.
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM
The first few weeks are the hardest just like when the baby was first born. Then you just learn to function on less sleep. I have a 9 1/2 month old and haven't had a full night asleep (up several times) since.
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I can function on "less" sleep.  I've got a 10 yo who didn't sleep through the night until she was close to two. 

However, I can't function on little to no sleep.  My body starts shutting down and I get horribly ill and my migraines are super intense.  

Since I'm ebfing, I don't take my normal migraines meds as they pass to baby.   

My problem is not "less" sleep right now, it's finding a way to get SOME sleep.  Two hours a night isn't workable.  

Quoting mckinneymom918:

The first few weeks are the hardest just like when the baby was first born. Then you just learn to function on less sleep. I have a 9 1/2 month old and haven't had a full night asleep (up several times) since.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Would you be able to sidecar her crib and nurse her then slide her over to her space with your hand on her?  My boys often just needed to feel some part of me on them, not necessarily being completely held.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Pillows, pillows, and more pillows! I used my boppy between my legs and had other pillows all around to prop and support me so I could be more comfortable. I couldn't really sleep well while my baby was nursing and my second was a CONSTANT nighttime nurser.

What migraine medication do you take? I take imitrex. It is ok to take while breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShanaMomOf2
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I'm dealing with same issue with 6 month old. I know it's not a solution for everyone, but I've been sleeping on couch with my LO and its helped a LOT! The side nursing with support of couch on my back to lean against. When I side nurse in bed a wedge a firm pillow behind back for support and that helps as well (or boppy)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN