Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Formula before bed?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 11 Replies
I am enjoying breastfeeding and my little angel is growing well. I say a post where a mom only used formula before bed so her babys belly would stay full longer and she could get some sleep at night. What are the pros and cons to this. I was thinking about trying it just before bed.
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM
3 moms liked this
I never personally tried it, nor would it. I dont believe its good for their gut, my babies were.in bed.with me, so waking up to nurse wasnt a big deal, and plus i believe.that there is a reason babies wake at night. Substituting with formula can mess.with your milk supply.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM
In my expierence formula didn't help sleep. I ff my DS1 and he was still up every 2ish hours at night until he was over 1. To get more sleep I co-sleep. This way when DS2 whines I just lift my shirt, he latches on and I go back to sleep.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Breastfeeding helps prevent SIDS if that answers your question...
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM
3 moms liked this
NO pros to this because it doesnt always work. Cons-risks of sids, higher allergies, intestinal upset, diabetes, cancer, ear infections and the list could go on and on. WHy give your child those risks when its not needed?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had 2 FF babies and 2 EBF babies and my 2 FF babies woke way more than my EBF ones...formula is FULL of high fructose corn syrup, if it does make baby sleep its because their body cant digest it

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this
Pros- you don't have to be home at bedtime.
-baby may POSSIBLY sleep better.

Cons- possibility to upset baby's stomach, and keep them up all night.
-ruin virgin gut, increased cancer risk, obesity risk, diabetes risk and allergy risj
-increased SIDS risk
-potential for supply drop
-you have to pump while baby is being fed
-risk for flow preference/nipple preference.
-boil water, make formula, cool to appropriate temp, then wash remaining dishes vs. just nursing then falling asleep or even better, co-sleeping and nursing while asleep.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

The formula would not benefit your daughter at all. It would likely cause digestion issues for her and supply issues for you. You would need to pump during the time you give the bottle anyway for the missed feeding, so you might as well nurse her. Giving a bottle of formula at bedtime, if only to induce a deeper more unnatural sleep in a baby, is not a good choice. This only increases the risk of SIDS and is selfish in my eyes because the only reason to do this is so mom can get more sleep. When I became a mother, I completely forfeited all selfish thoughts, including my desire to get a full nights sleep ever again! I do not mean that you are selfish in any way or that your question isn't a good one. To answer your question, I do not feel that there is a single pro to giving a breastfed baby a bottle of formula before bed.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM

This!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

NO pros to this because it doesnt always work. Cons-risks of sids, higher allergies, intestinal upset, diabetes, cancer, ear infections and the list could go on and on. WHy give your child those risks when its not needed?

baby2013143
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM
6 moms liked this
Thanks ladies...no formula for mr!
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM
My EBF baby sleeps 10x better than my formula fed kids did.

I you want more sleep I would try co sleeping.

I hardly have to wake up with my nursling at night. I just roll over and left my shirt and we both go back to sleep
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN