Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not sure what to do

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ok I have to ask bc I am having trouble. My 10 month ago nurses on off all day only a few mins at a time n starts crying. She nurses more in the middle of the night but here's the problem her diaper count has been 3 wet diapers a day for the last month n half her weight is going down. Last month he was 14.5 went 2 weeks go she's down to 14.2 n goes back Monday for another weight check. She does eat what we eat she nurses first n table food she really doesn't eat much at all. Her dr said to load her food down with butter which I haven't done. She was 7.12 when she was born. She hasn't gained weight in a long time. I would have to get my folder out to tell u her weight history.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM
First things first, get a new doctor. Nobody should tell you to give your infant lots of butter. Secondly, have this new doctor check for ties. Nurse nurse as much as you can. Breastmilk is the most nutritionally dense thing you can give her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Diaper count is less as they get older and weight gain slows down too. I would keep nursing on demand, make some breastmilk popcycles too. I bet part of the wantjng to nurse and then stopping is due to teething.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Gain typically slows down in the second six months. Can you please give us a complete weight history? And in it, please include when solids were started.

And one more thing on this: Need the weights from the same scale. If different scales are used, pick one and throw the others out. Different scales can be calibrated differently.

Far more important than weight: Total dipe changes per 24 hours (we don't care about wet vs poop) and how's she doing on milestones? AND... are you and your husband tall people or short people? Tall people tend to have babies that grow bigger. Short people tend to have petite babies.

Madisonsmommy1
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:19 AM
I have wanted to do the popsicles but I just don't do well with pump anymore. I only get about a few drops. And I agree on the teething she has no teeth yet but I can see the bottom is swollen. I have been giving the teething tablets. She's always fussy anymore.

Quoting Precious333:

Diaper count is less as they get older and weight gain slows down too. I would keep nursing on demand, make some breastmilk popcycles too. I bet part of the wantjng to nurse and then stopping is due to teething.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madisonsmommy1
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Born 7.12 1 week 7.75 1 month 8.12 2 months 9.10 4 months 11.11 6 months 13.5 9 months 14.6 and 2 weeks ago for her weight check she was 14.2. And it's always the same scale. Started solids at 6 months but only did it once a day til 7 months then twice a day n now at 10 months she might eat 2-3 times a day with solids but its not a lot. Milestones are great. Husband n I are both short. She knows where her milk comes from. Lol she's always pulling my shirt.

Quoting gdiamante:

Gain typically slows down in the second six months. Can you please give us a complete weight history? And in it, please include when solids were started.

And one more thing on this: Need the weights from the same scale. If different scales are used, pick one and throw the others out. Different scales can be calibrated differently.

Far more important than weight: Total dipe changes per 24 hours (we don't care about wet vs poop) and how's she doing on milestones? AND... are you and your husband tall people or short people? Tall people tend to have babies that grow bigger. Short people tend to have petite babies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Quoting Madisonsmommy1:

Born 7.12
1 week 7.75
1 month 8.12
Good gain there. About a pound a month.
2 months 9.10
4 months 11.11
6 months 13.5
9 months 14.6
OK, the rate was good up till the 6-9 month point. A slowdown is normal, but this is slower than I'd like to see.
and 2 weeks ago for her weight check she was 14.2. And it's always the same scale.
OK, good about the scale.
Started solids at 6 months but only did it once a day til 7 months then twice a day n now at 10 months she might eat 2-3 times a day with solids but its not a lot. Milestones are great. Husband n I are both short.
Ahhhh. OK. I'd drop the solids entirely for the time being; they're less caloric. It's possible she's teething. That will cause nursing problems. Teething tablets or raw sweet onion rubbed on the gums can provide relief.
She knows where her milk comes from. Lol she's always pulling my shirt.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:30 AM
The weight gain was perfect until 6 months. I would offer to nurse more often and decrease solids because the milk is nutritionally necessary and the solids are not. Your milk has more fat and calories than any food you could give. Plus, the food is not properly digested and absorbed for her to actually get much from it anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:10 AM
Have you checked her for a lip or tongue tie?
Madisonsmommy1
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM
What do I look for?

Quoting melindabelcher:

Have you checked her for a lip or tongue tie?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Flip up the lip and see if theres a cord that kinds like it's restricting the lip from flipping all the way back? Run your finger under tbe tongue is it restricted.
You can take pics and post it here. Put one finger on each side of the cord under the tongue then snap a pic.
Any gas? Bloated belly? Reflux? Pinching while nursing?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)