Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Thinking of eping:(

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 13 Replies
I eped for the first 3 months while working to get Aubrey back on the breast, so I know how hard it is. I am at my wits end though! Something's got to give! I am battling biting still, nothing is working! I also am wondering if this is normal or a nursing strike. She is 10 1/2 months and pretty much only nursing before meals. I offer between and she just bites. She also nurses once, sometimes twice at night. I've got a freezer full of frozen milk, but really wanted her to self wean, and not until after 2. I was thinking if giving her BM in her cup during the day and nursing at night, but I just don't know. She'll be going back to daycare right after her 1st birthday, so she will pretty much be doing that anyway. Advice?
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

And yes, I put her down when she bites. Here's the very sad proof:(
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM

As long as she's nursing willingly before meals, continue doing that.  If she doesn't want to nurse in between those times, don't push it for now.  Let her come to you and ask at those times if she wants to nurse, but keep up with the before meals and night-time nursing.

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Thanks, I just keep worrying she's not getting enough. She will only nurse about 5 minutes, but I guess at this point maybe she's just really efficient?

Quoting K8wizzo:

As long as she's nursing willingly before meals, continue doing that.  If she doesn't want to nurse in between those times, don't push it for now.  Let her come to you and ask at those times if she wants to nurse, but keep up with the before meals and night-time nursing.

goddiddlyumshis
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Pumping is no fun. I had to do it with my second because we couldn't get rid of thrush and it hurt so freaking bad to nurse :(
A LC recommended it, crazy right?
It was hell! I was so focused on giving her breast milk and I failed and felt like such a loser. Especially because my oldest nursed until he was 3.5yo!!
So she wound up getting formula at 7 months. :/ so ashamed of it.

Luckily #3 is nursing very well and thrush hasn't reared its ugly face, yet. He's only 5 weeks.. So hopefully it won't!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Yep.  As long as she's wetting 4 diapers a day and nursing well before solids, I really wouldn't worry at this point.  5 sessions a day can be typical for her age, though some babies will nurse more than that (my DS did about 20 sessions a day then... I would have given my right arm to only nurse 5 times in a day for a few days!).

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Thanks, I just keep worrying she's not getting enough. She will only nurse about 5 minutes, but I guess at this point maybe she's just really efficient?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM
I bet she is really efficient. What do youbgive her for meals? Maybe they are filling her up too much were she doesnt want to.nurse inbetween?

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Quoting K8wizzo:

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Breakfast is usually something like fruit and a yogurt. Lunch and dinner I give a fruit veggie and a meat. She drinks around an oz of water with each. She is eating quite a bit of solids these days. She loves sweet potato, cantaloupe, avocado, and apples.

Quoting Precious333:

I bet she is really efficient. What do youbgive her for meals? Maybe they are filling her up too much were she doesnt want to.nurse inbetween?

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Quoting K8wizzo:

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I keep trying to tell myself she is getting close to a year, I still think of her as the little newborn who nursed every 1-2 hours. They grow way too fast!

Quoting K8wizzo:

Yep.  As long as she's wetting 4 diapers a day and nursing well before solids, I really wouldn't worry at this point.  5 sessions a day can be typical for her age, though some babies will nurse more than that (my DS did about 20 sessions a day then... I would have given my right arm to only nurse 5 times in a day for a few days!).

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I bet thats why she isnt interested in between.

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Breakfast is usually something like fruit and a yogurt. Lunch and dinner I give a fruit veggie and a meat. She drinks around an oz of water with each. She is eating quite a bit of solids these days. She loves sweet potato, cantaloupe, avocado, and apples.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Quoting K8wizzo:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM
It's OK. As long as her diaper count is OK then just before meals is fine. And have you tried treating for teething a few minutes before nursing? Hylands, Baltic amber, or a cool wrag may stop some of the biting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN