Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How is Breast Milk suppose to smell when warmed up from being frozen or refrigerated?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 6 Replies

Yesterday I thawed out some of my BM while out to eat to put into a bottle, it had been frozen and was pumped a few weeks ago.  My DH ended up giving the bottle to our DS when we got home because my son ended up sleeping all through dinner.  My DH gave him the bottle and I went and pumped.  After I pumped I took the fresh milk and stuck it in the frig. and it really had no smell to it at all (the fresh milk).  My husband then said the milk that was in the bottle (the stuff we had thawed out) smelled and I smelled it and it did smell sour.  I've heard you can refrigerate BM for a number of days, and can freeze it for months, so why would the frozen milk smell bad??  Has anyone ever had this happen?  Now I'm concerned about all the BM I've been stock pileing in the freezer.  How long can you put milk in the frig. before freezing it?  I've been keeping it in the frig. for two, sometimes three days occasionally before putting it into bags to freeze. 

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It can be refrigerated for 8 days before using or freezing. It was fine for your son to drink. Did you taste it? We seem to be having a lot of people in here recently who are having an excess lipase problem.

hnischke
by Heather on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I have the same issue. My son doesn't mind it though. I have extra lipase and it does have a sour smell but it's still good :)
LittleGhee
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

What is extra lipase?

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Just an excess of the enzyme that breaks down fat. It causes a different smell and taste (soapy) after being stored if it's not scalded first. Taste you milk after it's been stored and see if it has a soapy taste.  It's not a problem at all unless baby won't drink it. In that case, you'll need to scald it.

Quoting LittleGhee:

What is extra lipase?

GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Sounds like high lipase to me...  I had it with my first, baby but he had no problem drinking it.  I even donated it, and the recipient mama said that she'd put a drop of vanilla in it if her LO seemed hesitant.  (Not sure I'd do this myself, but it worked for her).

mommy2cristian
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I just wanted to add that I'd read back when I was nursing that you need to make sure it's stored in the back of the fridge or the freezer, not near the front. When I first was using pumped milk with my oldest I noticed a sour smell but didn't know if that was bad or not. Well once I read that & moved it to the back the smell went away & my son's gas/bms didn't have the same smell anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN