Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How to go about weaning?? *ETA*

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm currently trying to wean my 13 month old DS.

Thus far he hasn't nursed since 1 this afternoon and it is now 8:46, so there's no going back now. It's already making him mad and cry, and I won't confuse him and make it harder by going back now.

So my question is, what do I do about my breasts becoming full and leaking?? I've heard to wrap them, but wrap them how? Just ace bandage really tightly?

Any advice or words of encouragement are more than welcome!! Thank you!!

EDIT****

Wow!! I had no idea how to go about this process, I thought it was just a matter of being firm and cutting off and going through a rough couple days. I'm actually a little relieved to hear the proper way to do this is more gradual. I will definitely change my approach to this.

Thank you!!!
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

The proper way to wean is to drop 1 session a week until gone.  Not for baby but for YOU.  Going faster than that leads to clogged ducts and mastitis : (

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

If you're hurting you're weaning too fast. It WILL NOT confuse him to let him nurse. Just do so.

ONE feeding dropped per week. No faster than that.

SadieJames
by Sarah on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Oh and to add the wrapping will only add to clogged ducts.  Your body has gotten use to nursing him for this long... It takes a while for it to recognize it isn't nursing anymore.  

lovemyairman150
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Oh. I had no idea. =\

Wow. Thank you for this information.

I'm going off of advice from my mom and my aunts, my mother never nursed my siblings or I and my aunts just kinda stopped, idk how.

Smh. I guess I need to reconsider this.

Thank you though!! I appreciate it!!

Quoting SadieJames:

The proper way to wean is to drop 1 session a week until gone.  Not for baby but for YOU.  Going faster than that leads to clogged ducts and mastitis : (

lovemyairman150
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Wow, thank you.

This is my fist baby and I don't have anyone who I can speak to for advice on how to stop.

Thank you very much!! I will definitely now reconsider how to go about this process.

Quoting gdiamante:

If you're hurting you're weaning too fast. It WILL NOT confuse him to let him nurse. Just do so.

ONE feeding dropped per week. No faster than that.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM

You need to only drop one of his nursing sessions each week.  Don't wean cold turkey are YOU are the one who will regret it.  You'll end up with clogged ducts, infection, etc.  You should nurse him if you're hurting.

lovemyairman150
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Thank you for this information!! I had no idea until you and some of the other ladies told me. Thank you!! I will definitely do this!

Quoting jackiewal10:

You need to only drop one of his nursing sessions each week.  Don't wean cold turkey are YOU are the one who will regret it.  You'll end up with clogged ducts, infection, etc.  You should nurse him if you're hurting.

SadieJames
by Sarah on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Just want to add: you don't have to stop.  If you don't want to and he doesn't want to then don't : ) 

if you do decide that you need to wean maybe night weaning would be a good start.  Check our Dr. jay Gordon's article on it.  After you've night weaned then drop the one feeding a day he isn't interest in (after nap etc) by distracting or setting limits ie: we can nurse after we to to the store or after we watch Thomas or read a book etc.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Oh. I had no idea. =\

Wow. Thank you for this information.

I'm going off of advice from my mom and my aunts, my mother never nursed my siblings or I and my aunts just kinda stopped, idk how.

Smh. I guess I need to reconsider this.

Thank you though!! I appreciate it!!

Quoting SadieJames:

justone_jen
by Jen on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
A word of advice...let "advice" from women who didn't nurse go in one ear and out the other. :)

You don't have to stop if you don't want, but if you want to wean, drop a feeding per week until you're done.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I see that your questions have been answered, and I'm just curious. Why are you weaning now? If you don't mind me asking, that is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN