Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need help!

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 9 Replies
So my DD has just past the 3 month mark and is growing before my eyes. I'm noticing signs of teething and also that her appetite is increasing. So much so that she is up to 4oz. on a bottle. My question is that she is so sporadic with her breastfeedings now. Sometimes she'll feed for 9 minutes, sometimes 15 minutes. My biggest concern is that she'll have a 4oz. bottle and then an hour or two later she's hungry for more. Is this a growth spurt? Is she feeding for comfort? I'm feeling overwhelmed because my husband keeps saying that I'm over feeding her but she soils her diapers pretty well after each feeding. I NEED HELP!!
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM

What's in the bottle and why is she getting one?  Working, daycare??  Any amount of time she is nursing at the breast is fine and she can nurse as often as she wants.  The bottle will throw a kink in that.  Babies can and often are easily overfed when bottle fed. 

A two-hour feeding window is normal.  A lot of babies eat every two hours until they're 6 months or so.  Sometimes longer.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Gabsmom0321:

So my DD has just past the 3 month mark and is growing before my eyes.
Good!
I'm noticing signs of teething and also that her appetite is increasing. So much so that she is up to 4oz. on a bottle.
How long are you separated from her and how muchg is she getting in a full day?
My question is that she is so sporadic with her breastfeedings now. Sometimes she'll feed for 9 minutes, sometimes 15 minutes.
Both fine. Smash your clocks.
My biggest concern is that she'll have a 4oz. bottle and then an hour or two later she's hungry for more.
Is she getting the bottles when you're present? She should not... it's for your supply protection. Bottles ONLY for when you're not there. She shoiuld be attached most of the time during a spurt, then start sleeping a lot and outgrowing everything.
Is this a growth spurt? Is she feeding for comfort?
Yes and yes.
I'm feeling overwhelmed because my husband keeps saying that I'm over feeding her but she soils her diapers pretty well after each feeding. I NEED HELP!!

I don't see any indication that you're working? Save the bottles for when you're separated from baby only. You're allowed to nurse her wherever you are.

She *might* be getting overfed with the bottle. I need that data on how much per day.

Each bottle should be fed SLOWLY... preferably you never go above three ounces a bottle, you never go off the newborn nipple and after every ounce you stop and burp her. Ancf the bottle must be held parallel to the floor. A bottle should be an utter pain in the butt for her and for the caregiver. **grin**

GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I'm confused why you would even be giving your DD a bottle.  Are you EPing?  (Doesn't sound like it...).

Common thought is that babe shouldn't have more than 1 to 1.25 ouces of BM every hour she's away from you... 

I tend to think that babe should be allowed to tell us when she's hungry and able to eat accordingly, as she would do at the breast.  Not sure if this is popular thought, but it works for us:  I'm working now, and DS2 gets bottles of BM from his grandma.  Sometimes he'll be hungry every 2 hours and sometimes he'll want to eat every 4 hours.  Sometimes he'll down 3 ounces, and other times (like today) he'll be happy with 1.5 ounces.  I'm happy that he's able to "eat on demand" at the bottle as well as the breast...

If you're happy with the status quo and baby is happy, it sounds like your DH is the one with the problem.  :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I'm confused why you would even be giving your DD a bottle.  Are you EPing?  (Doesn't sound like it...).

Common thought is that babe shouldn't have more than 1 to 1.25 ouces of BM every hour she's away from you... 

Slight clarification on that. The total amount breaks down to 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour, but the servings are about three ounces.. give or take a little.

I tend to think that babe should be allowed to tell us when she's hungry and able to eat accordingly, as she would do at the breast.  Not sure if this is popular thought, but it works for us:  I'm working now, and DS2 gets bottles of BM from his grandma.  Sometimes he'll be hungry every 2 hours and sometimes he'll want to eat every 4 hours.  Sometimes he'll down 3 ounces, and other times (like today) he'll be happy with 1.5 ounces.  I'm happy that he's able to "eat on demand" at the bottle as well as the breast...

If you're happy with the status quo and baby is happy, it sounds like your DH is the one with the problem.  :)

Gabsmom0321
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Breastmilk because I went back to work

Quoting jackiewal10:

What's in the bottle and why is she getting one?  Working, daycare??  Any amount of time she is nursing at the breast is fine and she can nurse as often as she wants.  The bottle will throw a kink in that.  Babies can and often are easily overfed when bottle fed. 

A two-hour feeding window is normal.  A lot of babies eat every two hours until they're 6 months or so.  Sometimes longer.

Gabsmom0321
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM
I'm at work about 4-5 hours MWF, I feed her in the morning before I drop her off with grandma but today she went about 4 hours before she got a bottle then I showed up about 2 hours later and she got fussy like she was hungry.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Gabsmom0321:

So my DD has just past the 3 month mark and is growing before my eyes.
Good!
I'm noticing signs of teething and also that her appetite is increasing. So much so that she is up to 4oz. on a bottle.
How long are you separated from her and how muchg is she getting in a full day?
My question is that she is so sporadic with her breastfeedings now. Sometimes she'll feed for 9 minutes, sometimes 15 minutes.
Both fine. Smash your clocks.
My biggest concern is that she'll have a 4oz. bottle and then an hour or two later she's hungry for more.
Is she getting the bottles when you're present? She should not... it's for your supply protection. Bottles ONLY for when you're not there. She shoiuld be attached most of the time during a spurt, then start sleeping a lot and outgrowing everything.
Is this a growth spurt? Is she feeding for comfort?
Yes and yes.
I'm feeling overwhelmed because my husband keeps saying that I'm over feeding her but she soils her diapers pretty well after each feeding. I NEED HELP!!

I don't see any indication that you're working? Save the bottles for when you're separated from baby only. You're allowed to nurse her wherever you are.

She *might* be getting overfed with the bottle. I need that data on how much per day.

Each bottle should be fed SLOWLY... preferably you never go above three ounces a bottle, you never go off the newborn nipple and after every ounce you stop and burp her. Ancf the bottle must be held parallel to the floor. A bottle should be an utter pain in the butt for her and for the caregiver. **grin**

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

OK. For the time you're gone, one four ounce bottle is fine and she SHOULD be ravenous when you pick her up. It's all good.

You always want the bottle to be enough to get by for the time you're gone.

No problems here!

Quoting Gabsmom0321:

I'm at work about 4-5 hours MWF, I feed her in the morning before I drop her off with grandma but today she went about 4 hours before she got a bottle then I showed up about 2 hours later and she got fussy like she was hungry.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

An anaology for you: The infant body is like an Indy car with a really really tiny track. It uses up a lot of fuel as it goes around the track, and since the gas tank is tiny, the tank needs frequent filling.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Make sure you tell grandma the correct way to feed a breastfed baby a bottle. With a flow flow nipple, baby sitting upright, bottle parallel to the floor, burping and switching sides after every ounce. Ideally you want one to one and a half ounces per hour in bottles no bigger than three ounces. For four hours I personally would feed at drop off. Feed. Two hours later 2.5 ounces. Then feed upon pick up. If I were to be gone five hours I would leave another one ounce bottle to be given no later than one hour before my expected arrival.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)