Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I just don't get the hate. Vent w/edit

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM
  • 40 Replies
I just found out yesterday that my sil is grossed out by breastfeeding. I just don't understand the concept. I had brought my son to dh because I was very angry due to being bitten. He was sitting with his sister. I explained what happened and went to leave the room. She asked me if I was still... And then shuddered as if she couldn't bear to say the word. She has a son and she is a very cheap person. Not in a bad way, frugal would be a better word. I had never thought about it before but my son is the only kid in his entire family not to get formula ever. I got it, my sister got it, dh and all of his siblings, all of the nieces, nephews and cousins... I even got hassled before the kid was born about how formula was easier and I shouldn't bother with bfing. I don't understand how. I ff my first and it was far from easy. There's the constant cleaning, measuring and worrying if you're giving too much. The constipation and spit up... There's none or close to none of that with nursing. She's a grown woman and yet she couldn't say the word breastfeed. And now she keeps talking about me in Spanish about everything I do being wrong. I am definitely looking forward to her going back home.
I live with my in laws and even still she lives in Florida, we live in ny... I wouldn't kick her out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM
If it was your home, you could suggest she leave if she didn't like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Learn Spanish secretly... then you can have a snappy come back when she talks shit lol
Ninjascreenname
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Time for her to go home. If she cannot respect you, your house, and your breastfeeding relationship then it's time for her to go to her house where she makes the decisions. :)
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM
It's not my home, and to be honest I'm not even mad. I just don't get it.

Quoting VintageWife:

If it was your home, you could suggest she leave if she didn't like it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I can't speak Spanish, but I can understand what she is saying about me. I pretend not to because I just don't like her anymore. I did before that, but she's literally thirty years older than me and has taken care of plenty of kids. I don't understand how she could be grossed out by it.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Learn Spanish secretly... then you can have a snappy come back when she talks shit lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valrubio
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Your doing the best thing for your baby and should be proud of your breastfeeding. There are always going to be people who don't like it and you just need to not care.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

You might just want to look at her one time when she's talking about you and say...I can understand what you are saying.  See if that shuts her up.  

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I wish she would go home. I live with my in laws though and she's not leaving until the end of the week. I felt weird because the day before we had gone out to eat and I was going to nurse him in the restaurant but he didn't want to. I can't imagine how awkward it would have been if I had.
I don't nurse in common rooms like the dining room or living room because the ac is in my bedroom, and my breasts never came up in conversation so I guess that's how she didn't know. My mil keeps asking when he's going to get cow's milk too (although she calls it regular milk). The answer is never. He will never start drinking cow's milk instead of nursing because he is a human.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

Time for her to go home. If she cannot respect you, your house, and your breastfeeding relationship then it's time for her to go to her house where she makes the decisions. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM
It's mostly upsetting because she was the only person in Dh's family that wasn't rude to me besides his father.
I know I'm doing the right thing, and I am a little proud that I've made it this far without supplementing or throwing him out the window. Biting, nursing aversions, not sleeping without beig attached...

Quoting valrubio:

Your doing the best thing for your baby and should be proud of your breastfeeding. There are always going to be people who don't like it and you just need to not care.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I thought about it, but I'd rather not have any conversation with at all at this point. She was making comments all morning to my mil until I just got fed up with trying to socialize with her and went back into the bedroom. It's stupid things, like she made a comment about me not giving him cereal and fruit for breakfast, he had a hard boiled egg. He had rice milk in his cup and I'm assuming she thought it was breastmilk because after he dropped it she wouldn't pick it up to give it back to him. She said he didn't need it.

Quoting IrishIz:

You might just want to look at her one time when she's talking about you and say...I can understand what you are saying.  See if that shuts her up.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN