Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

homemade rice cereal thoughts

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 5 Replies
Dd is 4.5months and is starting to show interest in solids I'm not in any hurry and know I'm jot doing store infant cereals. Leaning tword baby led solids or modified baby led solids My question is when we choose to start solids has anyone ever done homemade cereals? Are they just as bad as store cereals that are full of fake stuff? Thoughts?
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Fruits & veggies are far better. We'll skip cereal in any form altogether.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

The reason you shouldn't do cereal is because baby doesn't have the enzymes needed yet to digest grains.  It's better to wait until around one years of age for grains.  

Also, whether baby is showing an interest in copying you, you should wait for ALL the signs of readiness, which inclued sitting UNassisted, loss of tongue thrust, SIX months of age and the ability to use the pincher's grasp. 

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Cereals, even homemade, would be just as bad, because babies cannot digest grains properly. Any cereal, in any form, would be hard for baby. I would skip it altogether. 6 months is the *bare* minimum. At 6 months if baby can do ALL of this then it is ok to start solids: Sits unassisted, lost tongue thrust reflex, obtained pincher grasp, willing to eat. When all those are met, you can start with whatever you are eating. I would start with fruits or veggies because they are easiest to digest for anyone.  

mamabens
by Miranda on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM

No solids before 6 months! Also no grains before 1. Their bodies just aren't made to process it. Give baby real foods when they turn 6 months and meet the requirements.....6 months, sitting unassisted, lost tongue reflux and has pincher grasp. If baby hasn't met all of those baby isn't ready. Also if baby were  showing interest in grandmas cigarettes would you give them one? NO! Baby is at the ge of exploration, it's normal but has nothing to do with being ready to eat anything but breast milk

BabyFruit Ticker

gabi0921
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I am going to wait till 6months (or later) just one of those people that likes to be ready and trying todo my research before hand . Thanks for the advice from everyone. We eat very little grain in our house anyway so I have always leaned tword fruits and vegies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)