Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BFing Through A Hysterectomy

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 11 Replies

Have any of you had to have a hysterectomy or partial hysterectomy while BFing? If so what was the outcome?

I possibly have uterine cancer. I will be having it removed, along with my fallopian tubes and 1 ovary. I opted to keep one ovary for hormone purposes. Hopefully it is localized to my uterus.

Any comments or suggestions ? My son will be 1 in 10 days and even though I had originally planned all along to nurse till 1 year, the closer it approaches the sadder I become and really don't WANT to wean and I know he doesn't. Any advice would be appreciated!

starbucks.jpg funny vintage image by magicalmuggle105
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twogirl91
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM
BUMP
Randi02
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I was supposed to have one last week, and my 4 month old was going to stay with me in the hospital.
Everything but my overies are being removed. The surgery was canceled due to flooding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I've never had to have any form of a hysterectomy but I have had sections for my deliveries (not saying they are the same thing). Nursing with an incision can be tricky, you want to use pillows and the football hold.
Have the lactmed site ready for any meds they give you.
I'm sorry your going they this and you are in my prayers. I hope this takes care of it for you.
nursetina
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Quoting shortyali:

I've never had to have any form of a hysterectomy but I have had sections for my deliveries (not saying they are the same thing). Nursing with an incision can be tricky, you want to use pillows and the football hold.
Have the lactmed site ready for any meds they give you.
I'm sorry your going they this and you are in my prayers. I hope this takes care of it for you.

I had a csection. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about how the change in hormones will affect my breastmilk, if I will have to pump and dump etc. And if it is cancer, how I will determine if I will pump and dump through the chemo to be able to BF once the chemo is done (depending on duration) or if I would be better off weaning. I guess I am mostly worried that my milk will completely dry up :(

Thank you. <3

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Uterine hormones don't effect the breastmilk. But with chemo involved, you probably will be looking at weaning. Chemo is not a short process and it's very likely that it will leave you without the energy to do much of anything, let alone pumping.

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have any advice. I just wanted to say I hope you have a smooth surgery ad all goes well. I hope you can breastfeed as long as possible.

Good luck with everything.
nursetina
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Uterine hormones don't effect the breastmilk. But with chemo involved, you probably will be looking at weaning. Chemo is not a short process and it's very likely that it will leave you without the energy to do much of anything, let alone pumping.

I'm having 1 ovary removed. Do you think it will affect it?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. Ovaries have nothing to do with breastfeeding. The only thing that has to do with breastfeeding in that region is the placenta, which of course is long gone.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM
This

Quoting gdiamante:

Nope. Ovaries have nothing to do with breastfeeding. The only thing that has to do with breastfeeding in that region is the placenta, which of course is long gone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Gdiamante did a good job of providing you with information that should calm your fears about the effects regarding breastfeeding. ;-) I just wanted to chime in to mention my sister had a hysterectomy (just cervix and uterus removed) almost 2 years ago after the diagnosis of an aggressive precancerous condition. She was 37, never married, no kids, so it was emotionally quite devastating for her. She had the procedure laparoscopically. The first 3 days after she felt like hell but then turned a corner and felt awesome, so much so that she joined my family in the Florida Keys at 2 weeks post op. She spent 10 years stressed out over bad Pap smears, waiting for things to turn scary, but she's so relieved now to be freed from the fear of dying from cervical cancer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)