Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How many calories does a bfing mom need to eat/ to loose weight?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 13 Replies

I want to loose weight healthily this time , how many calories should I be consuming? Im three weeks post partum..and I use myfitnesspal.com to track calories usually =] I didnt do it at all durrin gthe pregnancy I kind of ate crap food to keep up on gaining any weight.. and i didnt have time to eat right all the time..

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

At three weeks, weight loss shouldn't even be on your calendar yet. **smile** 1800 calories is your minimum. And nine months on, nine months off.

igotheart
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM
The weight will gradually fall off with breastfeeding. Just focus on eating healthier foods instead of junk.
spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM
LOL okay i am pretty stunned because i am fitting into pre pregnancy clothes =] i just dont want to gain weight while bfing because all i do is eat and sleep and feed baby and change her and all that lol

Quoting gdiamante:

At three weeks, weight loss shouldn't even be on your calendar yet. **smile** 1800 calories is your minimum. And nine months on, nine months off.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Your body is burning extra calories making milk. It is important to eat to your hunger. Just make good choices. Be sure to stay hydrated also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Fair warning. I lost every ounce in the first six weeks because I rarely got to eat. But it all came back, with interest, when my son started nursing a bit less.

GayleKini
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this
You need to wait until you are at least 8 weeks out. Weight Watchers has a program for nursing moms. They only recommend one pound of weightloss per week and you get to eat more. It has helped me to eat more healthy. You also need to eat all your points to ensure you keep up your milk supply.
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this
You definitely need to NOT be limiting calories right now... Wait until at least 8-12 weeks PP.

You CAN make better choices. Eat hummus and cut veggies. Eat PBJ with whole wheat and natural PB and J. Eat cottage cheese and fresh fruit. Eat bananas dipped in Nutella.

If you ate like crap while pregnant and DIDN'T have a newborn to care for, you will find it harder to eat well WITH a newborn. Work on making these changes, not counting calories. Eating crap food with less calories won't fuel your body to care for and feed your newborn. You need to eat A LOT to keep up with your needs. More than when you were pregnant. Seriously. Just focus on making healthy choices.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Myfitnesspal has negative calorie food diary entries for breastfeeding.  Add those to your food diary daily (make sure that your profile is set to allow negative calories... it's in the settings section).  Make sure that you eat back your exercise calories and that you don't eat less than 1800 calories at the very least.

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I was figuring id have to eat more than the alloted calories, i jst want to make sure to be eating enough/ and healthy cuz yah =/ im not exercising now just trying to keep up on the house

Quoting K8wizzo:

Myfitnesspal has negative calorie food diary entries for breastfeeding.  Add those to your food diary daily (make sure that your profile is set to allow negative calories... it's in the settings section).  Make sure that you eat back your exercise calories and that you don't eat less than 1800 calories at the very least.

ShanaMomOf2
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I've been working out and eating healthy past 2 months. My trainer knows that I'm breastfeeding and I feel like all I do is eat all day and nurse:) I'm 6 months pp and 5 lbs under Pre- pregnancy weight. Ladies are right....healthy choices. Lean meats, white fish, oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes,fresh fruits and veggies. Also, least amount of sodium as possible and lots of water!! I pretty much eat very 3 hours! Boost that metabolism:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN