Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Stubborn Little Guy

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM
  • 28 Replies

DS2 was born last week. He's not taking to nursing well at ALL. The first day or two he did fine, but then he started getting really ornery about eating. I got really engorged and it hurt bad enough I was finally able to convince the nurse that I needed to pump. I, at one point, got a nice lecture about how I need to not feed him from a bottle, even if it's breastmilk, because then he won't take to the breast at all. He's still being stubborn, so I've had to supplement with breastmilk in a bottle in order to get him as much as he's supposed to be eating each day. He's getting even worse with breastfeeding (the nurse is seeming to be right). I'm only able to get him to do a full feeding once, maybe twice, each day. Other than that it's all in bottles.

Any ideas as to how to get him nursing well??? I really appreciate any help. I'm completely new to breast feeding - I couldn't do it with DS1 because he was in the NICU so long that my supply dried up before he could breast feed. Thank you!!!!!!!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Best thing to do is stop with the bottles. Lay in bed all day topless and have baby in your chest and try to nurse at any move. Crying is the last sign of hunger. You will have to out stubborn him. Keep track of diapers and as long as you are changing 6 in 24 hours he's getting enough. Poops and heavy wets count as 2 diapers.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Quoting shortyali:

Best thing to do is stop with the bottles. Lay in bed all day topless and have baby in your chest and try to nurse at any move. Crying is the last sign of hunger. You will have to out stubborn him. Keep track of diapers and as long as you are changing 6 in 24 hours he's getting enough. Poops and heavy wets count as 2 diapers.

This. And how much are you tryin.g to get in him at a time? A full feeding at this stage is two ounces at most. His stomach is very tiny.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

crystalplus1
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Stop the bottles. I never got to nurse ds because he got used to the bottle.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Also do reclined nursing, with him on top of you, mouth over the nipple. This will help him deal with the flow.
hspear
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:57 AM

It's kinda hard to lay around in bed topless - I have a two-year-old running around at home, too lol. I do as close as possible, though; i run around doing housework and all that jazz in just my nursing bra, only putting a shirt on if I have to leave the house, so I'm ready at a moment's notice. And luckily he got his temper from Mom; I'm confident I'll be able to out-stubborn him lol.

He has a minimum of 6 diaper changes a day (that are actually wet/poopy); it's actually closer to 8, but that's likely because I've been using the bottles to supplement. When I stop letting him have the bottle, should I not worry about him not getting enough unless his diaper count drops?

Quoting shortyali:

hspear
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Quoting shortyali:

This. And how much are you tryin.g to get in him at a time? A full feeding at this stage is two ounces at most. His stomach is very tiny.

At first he was taking around 2 ounces, but now he's taking on average between 1/2 oz to 1 oz at each feeding. That's with the bottle - I don't know how much he gets from me while nursing on the occasions I can get him on there.

hspear
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Lol this was actually his favorite position right after we got home from the hospital. When he first started to get ornery about it he stopped feeding in any position except tummy-to-chest with me leaning back. Now when we try it that way he shakes his head repeatedly and does his little baby scream :-/ 

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Also do reclined nursing, with him on top of you, mouth over the nipple. This will help him deal with the flow.

amc103
by Alli on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I know its hard....I have a 4 year old and a 4 month old. Just leave all the housework and "all that jazz" (love that phrase!) :-) alone. Just feed you, baby and your older child. All the other stuff get DH or SO to help with when he comes home. You will manage and it will be rough, but its what needs to happen to ensure your breasfeeding relationship lasts. I agree with other posters...ditch the bottles and just lay in bed, skin to skin all day. (of course you'll have to get up sometimes, but for the most part.) My older son watched all KINDS of movies for the first 3 months of my younger son's life. It is what it is, ya know? You can do this!!!! :-) Also, this group is great BF'ing support. I wouldnt have been successful without them. I only BF my first for a month so I can relate to you. :-)

Also, in 3 months time, when you are BF'ing like a champ and you dont have to pump or make bottles, just whip out the boob, you'll be SOOOO happy! Once you get through all the crap in the beginning, (and its SHIT in the begining, really and truly....I thought I was going to die) its sooooooo worth it. Its easier, you dont have to clean and sterilize bottles, or take the time to pump....its amazing! 

Quoting hspear:

It's kinda hard to lay around in bed topless - I have a two-year-old running around at home, too lol. I do as close as possible, though; i run around doing housework and all that jazz in just my nursing bra, only putting a shirt on if I have to leave the house, so I'm ready at a moment's notice. And luckily he got his temper from Mom; I'm confident I'll be able to out-stubborn him lol.

He has a minimum of 6 diaper changes a day (that are actually wet/poopy); it's actually closer to 8, but that's likely because I've been using the bottles to supplement. When I stop letting him have the bottle, should I not worry about him not getting enough unless his diaper count drops?

Quoting shortyali:

hspear
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Everyone's been so positive! I love this group lol. I've asked questions like this in other groups and been hailed as evil lol. Y'all rock!

I've tried getting DS1 to watch movies/cartoons - he can't stand them. He zones out if Law & Order, Cold Case, etc. are on, though! Lol. I'll have to pump at least a little - I work a 40 hour/week job, so I'm gonna have to have some milk set aside for the sitter :-/ That shouldn't be that horribly much though :-P 

You paint such a positive picture for the future!!! Thank you!!! You ladies are really helping me to not freak out about this so much :-)

Quoting amc103:

I know its hard....I have a 4 year old and a 4 month old. Just leave all the housework and "all that jazz" (love that phrase!) :-) alone. Just feed you, baby and your older child. All the other stuff get DH or SO to help with when he comes home. You will manage and it will be rough, but its what needs to happen to ensure your breasfeeding relationship lasts. I agree with other posters...ditch the bottles and just lay in bed, skin to skin all day. (of course you'll have to get up sometimes, but for the most part.) My older son watched all KINDS of movies for the first 3 months of my younger son's life. It is what it is, ya know? You can do this!!!! :-) Also, this group is great BF'ing support. I wouldnt have been successful without them. I only BF my first for a month so I can relate to you. :-)

Also, in 3 months time, when you are BF'ing like a champ and you dont have to pump or make bottles, just whip out the boob, you'll be SOOOO happy! Once you get through all the crap in the beginning, (and its SHIT in the begining, really and truly....I thought I was going to die) its sooooooo worth it. Its easier, you dont have to clean and sterilize bottles, or take the time to pump....its amazing! 

Quoting hspear:

Quoting shortyali:

shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:16 AM
You will only need enough milk for the first day. After that you send the next day what you pumped today. No need for a large stash.
I have a 5 year old, a 2.5 year old and ac7 month old. The first 3ish months, my older 2 learned to either chill and watch a show or go grab books and read to me. Then I got the hang of nursing in my moby wrap. Now I put that on, latch him and keep moving. :)
And yes to your earlier question. Keep an eye on diapers. If your not changing the min of 6 then something else is wrong. Keep offering even if its been 5 seconds since he last nursed.

Quoting hspear: Everyone's been so positive! I love this group lol. I've asked questions like this in other groups and been hailed as evil lol. Y'all rock!
I've tried getting DS1 to watch movies/cartoons - he can't stand them. He zones out if Law & Order, Cold Case, etc. are on, though! Lol. I'll have to pump at least a little - I work a 40 hour/week job, so I'm gonna have to have some milk set aside for the sitter :-/ That shouldn't be that horribly much though :-P 
You paint such a positive picture for the future!!! Thank you!!! You ladies are really helping me to not freak out about this so much :-)

Quoting amc103:
Quoting hspear:

Quoting shortyali:Best thing to do is stop with the bottles. Lay in bed all day topless and have baby in your chest and try to nurse at any move. Crying is the last sign of hunger. You will have to out stubborn him. Keep track of diapers and as long as you are changing 6 in 24 hours he's getting enough. Poops and heavy wets count as 2 diapers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN