Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Should I be worried?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:39 AM
  • 12 Replies
I just had my son on Tuesday by emergency c-section and I'm breastfeeding. It's going well, but me and my husband were have been so worn out, we decided to send him to the nursery and told them to being him back for feeding.
The first night, he was only in the nursery for a couple of hours because we wanted him to stay with us, but he wanted to nonstop nurse and I
was afraid of dropping him because I was so tired. Last night, they only brought him to me once, they took him back at around 3:30 and didn't bring him back until almost 7 when I woke up. My concern is that they may have given him formula
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twogirl91
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Did you tell them no formula? You can ask them if they gave him formula. 

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Honestly, they probably did. I tried doing that when my dd was born after 2 days of labor and an emergency csection and the nurse brought her back 15 minutes after she took her.
Only way to find out is to ask!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM
You need to ask and then reiterate that he is breastfed only. No bottles, no paci's.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Often the nurses think they are doing you a favor by letting you sleep while they just give formula. (Sometimes dads think this is helping, too). Little do they realize how much that sabotages breastfeeding. Babies can develop nipple confusion or flow preference after one single bottle. It's to be expected that the baby will be attached nearly constantly in these early weeks. For real, when they say to nurse every 2 hours or so, it's like you nurse the baby at 1am for an hour then put then down and a half hour later the baby is rooting again. Normal. Exhausting, but normal. And crucial to building good supply.
bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Yes, this isn't my first baby, but it is my first c-section and I was afraid of falling asleep with him in the bed and dropping him because I was so tired, and he wouldn't sleep in the basinet.
I nursed him as soon as they brought him back to me, so I don't think they gave him formula because he was hungry and I didn't have any trouble nursing him.
Someone told me at some hospitals they lock up the formula like medicine because of nurses doing that without the mother's consent. Personally, I think that's a great idea, they shouldn't be allowed to feed your baby without your express permission because it has the potential to ruin breastfeeding.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Often the nurses think they are doing you a favor by letting you sleep while they just give formula. (Sometimes dads think this is helping, too). Little do they realize how much that sabotages breastfeeding. Babies can develop nipple confusion or flow preference after one single bottle. It's to be expected that the baby will be attached nearly constantly in these early weeks. For real, when they say to nurse every 2 hours or so, it's like you nurse the baby at 1am for an hour then put then down and a half hour later the baby is rooting again. Normal. Exhausting, but normal. And crucial to building good supply.

bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not worried about it anymore because we're home and breastfeeding is going well.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Honestly, they probably did. I tried doing that when my dd was born after 2 days of labor and an emergency csection and the nurse brought her back 15 minutes after she took her.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM
That's great! :)

Quoting bad_mama2011:

I'm not worried about it anymore because we're home and breastfeeding is going well.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Babys r very sleepy if you let them go they could sleep for hours...they prob forgot about him bc he was sleeping good.
bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I know, it's just so hard for me to believe because my first two weren't good sleepers
, he is so quiet and content most of the time.

Quoting destiny3513:

Babys r very sleepy if you let them go they could sleep for hours...they prob forgot about him bc he was sleeping good.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
They might have given him formula or he might have slept that whole time due to the medications/anesthesia that you were given for the C-section. Either way, it is not good for a nursing newborn. They should have had you trying to nurse him at least every two hours during that time if he was sleepy.
I'm glad that nursing is going well now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN