Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being pressured to stop bf.

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 39 Replies
My husbands family thinks it is disgusting that I am still bf our 9 month old daughter, they continuously tell me how gross it is. My MIL is the worst, she was supportive of it for the first 6 weeks and has been pressuring me to formula feed ever since. She even bought me formula!
She is now trying to tell me that whole milk would be just fine for her now. No no no no. NO. My daughter, not hers. I wish she would respect and support my decision.
I can't trust her to watch her because I am worried she would give her milk or foods I don't want her to have.
I want to bf as long as I can! AT least till 15 months and that is my choice.
So thankful my husband is so supportive and my family is too.
Just needed to vent!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I can't imagine having such opposition! So glad tour husband is supportive! Stick to your guns momma!
hopeandglory53
by Amy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM

My husband is supportive of me bf'ing as long as possible. He likes my big boobs :P

Sorry his family isn't supportive :/

maliya0608
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM
That is so annoying! I wish people would just mind their own business. I mean, honestly, whose boobs are they?

Sheesh!
Smokeygirl
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Good for you for sticking to your guns. I wouldn't love her with your inlaws either. I am Glad to hear your husband is on your side.
asmalltowngirl
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM
They'd really think I was disgusting, nursing my 16 month old
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Time to stop seeing the IL's.  Seriously.  If my MIL behaved that way, she wouldn't be seeing me or my kid(s) until she learned to behave.

AbigailJ89
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I can't tell you how many fights we have gotten into. Oh and she is just really mean to my husband. I try to be the peace maker but it is impossible with her. Oh the stories I could tell. Ugh.

Quoting jackiewal10:

Time to stop seeing the IL's.  Seriously.  If my MIL behaved that way, she wouldn't be seeing me or my kid(s) until she learned to behave.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM
4 moms liked this
My youngest weaned at 39 months. ;-) Tell them that out of "respect" for their issues with your nursing that you'll kindly make yourself scarce until the baby weans so watch the mail for the invitation to her kindergarten graduation. It's very wise of you to not let them watch her. They're exactly the type of people who will feed her something wildly inappropriate and then tell you later, "see, she ate the whole tube of frosting just fine and has no problems". Luckily your dh didn't hit any of those "ignorant branches" when he fell from the family tree. Tell them all you're really open minded and would be happy to read the research they come up with that supports their ideas. ;-)
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Cut contact with them for awhile.  They have ZERO say in how you raise your kids.  And YOU GUYS shouldn't have to be frustrated because of parenting choices that you're making for YOUR child.  She needs to butt out.

Quoting AbigailJ89:

I can't tell you how many fights we have gotten into. Oh and she is just really mean to my husband. I try to be the peace maker but it is impossible with her. Oh the stories I could tell. Ugh.

Quoting jackiewal10:

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Agree!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My youngest weaned at 39 months. ;-) Tell them that out of "respect" for their issues with your nursing that you'll kindly make yourself scarce until the baby weans so watch the mail for the invitation to her kindergarten graduation. It's very wise of you to not let them watch her. They're exactly the type of people who will feed her something wildly inappropriate and then tell you later, "see, she ate the whole tube of frosting just fine and has no problems". Luckily your dh didn't hit any of those "ignorant branches" when he fell from the family tree. Tell them all you're really open minded and would be happy to read the research they come up with that supports their ideas. ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)