Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

thought i was doing so good

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM
  • 25 Replies
I thought I was doing so good my son is 3wks I've been breastfeeding. In the beginning I was supplementing with formula but only one bottle a day only when we was out and I felt uncomfortable to Bfno in public. I got over my issues with that and he hasn't had a bottle in 2wks... But now I have to supplement again because Im not producing enough milk to keep up with his growth spurt. I try to nurse him whenever he want but he gets frustrated because he's not getting anything even when I try to stimulate my breast o don't even see a drop :( ... I don't have a problem producing enough to feed him normally its just the inbetween normal feedings that's the problem.... Any help or suggestions on what I can do will be great....
Sorry for any typos I'm mobile and holding baby

First off I'm not sure why this posted twice .. I didn't give him formula yesterday.. I took everyone suggestions and kept putting to my breast. It was frustrating but id it :) he does have the proper amount of wt diapers so I think I'm doing good... I'm goin to keep at it . I don't remember going through this with my first son but he's 7 so it was a while ago... I just hope I can keep it up hopefully this should be over soon he will be 4wks on monday so I'm hoping by than it should be over with... Again thanks for the replies you all kept me from quitting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM
5 moms liked this

Best advice: put him to breast.  Milk is made on demand, so when he's nursing, your breasts are making milk.  If you've had enough to feed him the last 2 weeks without need formula, you have enough now.  That fussiness is growth spurt behavior--it tells your breasts to make more milk and to change the milk to suit his needs.  Anytime he makes a sound, put him to breast.  You DO have enough milk and you WILL ALWAYS have enough milk as long as you don't supplement.

Yuriko_chan
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Also make sure to stay hydrated. If you're nursing on demand then baby will get plenty of milk :)

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Growth spurts make you feel like your baby is starving... They're NOT, but they will nurse non-stop and be really fussy for a few days up to a week.

This. Is. Normal.

Your supply is not low. Your baby fussing and crying is stimulating hormones to change your milk's composition to better fit your baby's growth needs.

I know when your baby is crying, it is hard, but just think that your baby is communicating their needs with you. Maybe that will help.
sha-sha_mommy
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I've been doing that its just so frustrating seeing him struggle when usually he latch and eat so well

Quoting K8wizzo:

Best advice: put him to breast.  Milk is made on demand, so when he's nursing, your breasts are making milk.  If you've had enough to feed him the last 2 weeks without need formula, you have enough now.  That fussiness is growth spurt behavior--it tells your breasts to make more milk and to change the milk to suit his needs.  Anytime he makes a sound, put him to breast.  You DO have enough milk and you WILL ALWAYS have enough milk as long as you don't supplement.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM

It'll pass.  Growth spurts are very frustrating, just hang in there.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy:

I've been doing that its just so frustrating seeing him struggle when usually he latch and eat so well

Quoting K8wizzo:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
sha-sha_mommy
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I've been drinking more water than usual so I'm tryin to stay hydrated .. I really don't want to give him formula but he just seem so hungry

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

Also make sure to stay hydrated. If you're nursing on demand then baby will get plenty of milk :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Growth spurts are hard but they pass, he is crying to let your body know to make more milk. And he is always at the breast to stimulate it. When you give a bottle your messing up the natural cycle. I hope I'm making sence,, its supply & demand. You can pump, & if your baby want to nurse right after your body will make the milk for him. Don't get frustrated, & just go with it. Let your baby take control. & trust your body. But by giving bottles your sabotageing yourself. At 3 weeks old he shouldn't go longer then 3-4 hours without eating & during a growth spurt he can be at the breast every 30 min. For 30min, lol. My ds would do cluster feedings around that age. He would be calm all day then around 7 pm he would start crying, and he would be on & off my boobies until around 10pm. Its aggravating but stick with it, when you get past the growth spurt you will be so proud of yourself! :-)

sha-sha_mommy
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Yes they are... I'm going to really try to just keep at it

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

It'll pass.  Growth spurts are very frustrating, just hang in there.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Remember, diaper count is the truest count of what he is getting. You want at least six per 24 hours, with a couple of quarter sized poops. You're really doing just fine!
Yuriko_chan
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM

If he seems hungry, keep feeding him! Make sure you're eating as we'll so you don't get all tired and stuff form producing more milk. 

Quoting sha-sha_mommy:

I've been drinking more water than usual so I'm tryin to stay hydrated .. I really don't want to give him formula but he just seem so hungry

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)