Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fighting every feeding.

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 26 Replies
Kaden was born 6/25/2013. he is barely 3days old. (born at 11:33pm) . He was becoming a nursing champ, until yesterday. He latched for a few seconds, unlatched and proceeded to scream and would not latch again. this went on all day yesterday. the most he fed was about 10mins on one side and maybe 5 on the other. Other than that, he basically didn't want to nurse. it is almost 8am and he has not eaten almost anything at all. I know he has to be hungry, but he just screams and shakes at the breast. he was very gassy, so I bicycled his legs burped him several times, but he's still refusing to eat. I need help. I'm worried he's starving and that this isn't normal. any advice is GREATLY appreciated because I am freaking out :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM
The first thing I'd recommend is to strip him down and take your shirt off. Try nursing skin to skin. Hes still so young and they definitely prefer skin to skin.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I'm guessing your milk has started to come in and it's maybe coming out forcefully? Try block feeding and reclined nursing.
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Making your colostrum is switching over to milk and he's confused? Maybe you could express a few drops of milk onto his lips/in his mouth before you latch.

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM
What hold are tou using? You may need to try something different. But first you need to calm down. I know its near impossibke because your baby is crying and your are frustrated but its the best thing you can do. If you feel even a little apprehensive about the situation baby will feel it and will get upset. Then just get in position and don't push it. Sit there comfortably and exposed and let him settle in. Wait for him to actually go rooting foe the breast before you let him latch.
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Oh this too. I have this happen with my son occassionally, especially on my left side. Sometimes he even chokes and I have to sit him up right away and pat his pack until he relaxes.

Quoting ceckyl:

I'm guessing your milk has started to come in and it's maybe coming out forcefully? Try block feeding and reclined nursing.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I was thinking your milk.has come in, and come in full force, and he's frustrated with how much milk ia coming out at once. I would recline nurse, or nurse on your side.
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM
that's the thing, we were skin to skin. he still refused to eat. finally at 1:10pm he ate after sleeping. now he's sleep again. he ate for about 15mins one side

Quoting GoldenLinds:

The first thing I'd recommend is to strip him down and take your shirt off. Try nursing skin to skin. Hes still so young and they definitely prefer skin to skin.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM
block feeding?

Quoting ceckyl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM
sounds like overactive letdown. Every feeding baby needs to be on top of your breast so that baby can control the flow.
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM
my milk has come in. but he wouldn't suck hard enough to get a drop. I noticed that when I put lanolin on my nipples he doesn't eat. so I need to find something else.

Quoting Precious333:

I was thinking your milk.has come in, and come in full force, and he's frustrated with how much milk ia coming out at once. I would recline nurse, or nurse on your side.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN