Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Yet another question - How long does it take thrush to heal?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 17 Replies

I feel like I'm doing nothing but bombarding you with questions!  I had a hard time nursing my first, but once we got to six weeks, everything was fine.  But with this one, between his tongue and lip ties, my health issues, and now thrush, it seems to be getting harder. So sorry for all the questions!

Anyway, my IBCLC diagnosed me with thrush, and gave me some stuff to use.  I have ACV and probiotics for my son's mouth, and coconut oil and a mother's salv thing for my nipples.  It's been since Monday, and it still hurts sooooo bad to nurse!  I cry every feed.  I actually started pumping and bottle feeding today because I couldn't deal with the pain anymore.  Is this normal?  Does it usually take this long to heal?

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM
What's ACV? Check out thrush on kellymom.com-- more remedies and procedures you can add to what you're doing.
corbysmom531
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Sorry, I was in a hurry.  It's apple cider vinegar.  I also forgot to mention that I'm on some strong probiotics too.  Thanks for the referral! 

Quoting MusherMaggie:

What's ACV? Check out thrush on kellymom.com-- more remedies and procedures you can add to what you're doing.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Never used those items for thrush so cannot give you an estimate. I know gentian violet works very quickly. 

My personal cure was Lotrimin AF. One day cure. Must be wiped off the nipples before feeding. But my son's thrush symptoms were in the diaper area, not on the mouth.

corbysmom531
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I'll try the lotramin.  I'm exclusively pumping right now because of the pain.  I want to nurse again!!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Get some gentian violet, paint your nipples with it, and nurse baby. You'll BOTH be treated that way. Make sure you're sterilizing anything and everything that touches your breasts and baby's mouth, every time it touches them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corbysmom531
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I was told that doesn't work as well anymore.  Is that not accurate?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Get some gentian violet, paint your nipples with it, and nurse baby. You'll BOTH be treated that way. Make sure you're sterilizing anything and everything that touches your breasts and baby's mouth, every time it touches them.

villagemamma
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I bought gentian violet and gave that to DD. She was cleared up in about three days

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM
It's the number one recommended treatment. :)

Quoting corbysmom531:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Nope. Not accurate. Nystatin is what doesn't work.
Are you washing everything that touches your breasts and the baby's mouth in HOT water with vinegar? If not, the thrush is still being passed back and forth.
GV, grapefruit seed extract, vinegar, and coconut oil are the natural remedies that I know of and recommend. You could see if you can get some APNO or make your own with the over the counter equivalents.

Quoting corbysmom531:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corbysmom531
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I was wondering where I heard it from, and it's from the IBC website, so maybe not so accurate.  :)  I'll get some tomorrow if it doesn't clear up from the lotrimin today.  From looking in my son's mouth, I only see one little spot where the thrush still exists, and it's between his cheek and gums.  If I put it on me, and then feed him, will it get in that little pocket, or should I put it directly on him?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

It's the number one recommended treatment. :)

Quoting corbysmom531:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)